Design your dream pool pad

New northeastern pa pool build

It’s a novel I’m warning you now. I tend to go on and on and on.
Ok, I've had a bad cold and not able to do anything but lay around. So, I read your build. What an amazing job, it's a stunning setting, and your attention to detail! I loved that you asked all the questions you did, helped everyone learn something, me for sure. I definitely want automation for the pool control of the chemicals. I've been battling Ph on the pool that cam with the house since 2009 and with a new build coming up I will need as much help as possible. Again KUDOs to you for a great build, still parts in progress that I can't wait to see.

Ok, I've had a bad cold and not able to do anything but lay around. So, I read your build. What an amazing job, it's a stunning setting, and your attention to detail! I loved that you asked all the questions you did, helped everyone learn something, me for sure. I definitely want automation for the pool control of the chemicals. I've been battling Ph on the pool that cam with the house since 2009 and with a new build coming up I will need as much help as possible. Again KUDOs to you for a great build, still parts in progress that I can't wait to see.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I really tried to make it a learning place for people if they actually went through it. I had a good builder. I was lucky. I knew him my whole life. My dad went to school with him. His buddies and him do jobs together so it made it easy. I was also lucky that I had my guys who did everything else and was there for the outcome vs the pay check.

We r pretty much done minus landscaping. Once we get back from Disney I tackle that cause I know my neighbor is sick of looking at weeds and I am too around the pool.

The first few things that come to mind for pads in general are:

5 x 10-12’+
Pumps on one side, filter in the middle and heater on the other side.
No pipes coming up through concrete, bring them up through stone.
Labeled.
Room to put your feet between equipment.
Control panels on something solid like a structure wall or a wall created by posts and 2 x 10’s.
Good airflow.
Protection from sun or at least spray paint pipes.

I know not all of these relate to you but its a good topic...equipment pad best practices.
Quick questions
  1. Bring the pipe up through stone - Is this just for easy repair later or is there another reason?
  2. Protection from sun or at least spray paint pipes - Any particular type of paint?

Thanks!

I'm planning my pad now on a DIY build and have a question about the location of my subpanel. I did the Hayward Aqua Plus 40k SWG. I'll need to get to it to turn my lights on and off so it needs to be easily accessible. The pad will be on the inside corner of my raised deck and garage in a partial sun area. Originally I planned on putting the subpanel inside the garage. It would be just above the pad but on the inside wall. There's a door from the deck that would make it easy to get while keeping it out of the elements.

Then we started looking closer at the logistics of mounting it there! If I mount it outside then we can run the wire from the main panel through the foundation and it'd be a super easy connect. Mounting it inside requires some tricky pulling of a thick #2 wire.

To keep cost down, I'd like to get everything where it belongs and then have a buddy-electrician make the connections at a first-cousin discount rate. If I need to pull it there's a chance I'd have to get him involved since it's not an easy pull.

I'm totally guessing that it's a 4-6 hour difference in install and maybe $100-400?

So
  1. How does an exterior mount impact the life expectancy of this thing and is it worth the extra time and effort to mount in the garage?​
  2. I didn't pay the extra $800 for the Omnilogic smart phone controlled unit. If there's a $100-400 solution to controlling my system and lights? I could mount it in a less accessible area under the deck for better protection from the elements. Any ideas?​

Thanks for any input!!!

Great topic! Hopefully this reply will bring it back to the top. I'd love to see this one get legs. 4 or 5 pages of pics and comments would be awesome!

Quick tip on planning or any future electrical need. I was talking to my electrician buddy while I was planning my DIY build. My plan is to put a junction box on the far side of the pool where iPhone users can charge their phones. He suggested paying a bit more for 2" conduit and leaving a line in it. That way it'll be easy to pull wire later if I need to add anything. If I ever do pull wire, I pull the wire + another line. That way there's always a line in the conduit waiting to pull the next wire!

Quick questions
  1. Bring the pipe up through stone - Is this just for easy repair later or is there another reason?
  2. Protection from sun or at least spray paint pipes - Any particular type of paint?

Thanks!
1) No other reason. But could save lots of headaches later.
2) I used Krylon Fusion which is for plastic. Each brand has a version for plastic which would seem to be a better choice than the standard version. But that could just be me believing their marketing.

1)How does an exterior mount impact the life expectancy of this thing and is it worth the extra time and effort to mount in the garage?

2) I didn't pay the extra $800 for the Omnilogic smart phone controlled unit. If there's a $100-400 solution to controlling my system and lights? I could mount it in a less accessible area under the deck for better protection from the elements. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input!!!
1) I’d mount the panel where it’s most convenient and secondly aesthetic. I would not be concerned about it’s ability to withstand weather. The box is outdoor rated and holds up fine. Shade is better but not at the expense of convenience. Ours is fine after 7 years baking in the sun.
2) I don’t know on that. I have a ProLogic automation

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.