Design change feedback needed ASAP

newpoolbuild

Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
NY
—So we started digging this Tue. The PB will start the retaining walls first due to limited spacing for maneuverability. Orig plan was 15’ away along the property line for retaining wall+10’ pool decking+20’ pool+ 8’ decking. Now my PB is saying because the property line is not straight, he had to swing the shallow end of the pool 5’ away from the property line to make the pool ALIGN w the house. My house is not set straight on the property. Now we have a triangular space between the property line and the retaining wall. My husband and I do not like the triangular void, but PB insist it looks better if the pool is straight in the alignment w the house vs parallel to the stone wall/ property line.
—-What’s the conventional practice? Ithink the real reason was if go by my husbands original design, we need 4’ retaining walls then need engineer or double walls. But the original quote was for double retaining walls.
—-as you can see in the long pink line is the new pool border, the higher metal stake was the original design of 25’ from the property line.

Attachments

• BA75DF62-0DCA-4CF9-AC80-D5FA9CE4A597.jpeg
    BA75DF62-0DCA-4CF9-AC80-D5FA9CE4A597.jpeg
    638.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 443ACDDF-EDA7-47DA-8AB2-5562279D44DC.jpeg
    443ACDDF-EDA7-47DA-8AB2-5562279D44DC.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 2E5AD826-1F5B-4BAF-A664-78300EDBC27C.jpeg
    2E5AD826-1F5B-4BAF-A664-78300EDBC27C.jpeg
    843.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
It's hard for us to tell without overhead views, but it wouldn't bother me to have the pool skewed from the house. It also wouldn't bother me to have a triangular space if it wasn't detrimental to the property.

It appears that your husband did some design and is confident with it. If that's the case I'd probably go with his original design.

Reactions: Shirker
thank you. It doesn’t bother us. But my PB said that’s the conventional way. I understand if it’s rt behind the house. Our pool is in the side yard.
our stone wall is not straight kind of narrow in from both sides (stone wall and septic line)on the deep end. So we are on a tight squeeze at the deep send, not much wiggle room for location shift.

It's hard for us to tell without overhead views, but it wouldn't bother me to have the pool skewed from the house. It also wouldn't bother me to have a triangular space if it wasn't detrimental to the property.

It appears that your husband did some design and is confident with it. If that's the case I'd probably go with his original design.

I have a somewhat triangular backyard. Our choices were similar to yours. Either follow the property line and skew off the house or go closer to the house and have the property skew away from the pool. We chose to match the house because we look dead at it. I landscaped the back corner triangle so the grass line behind the pool is mostly rectangular. Mulch, some plants and a bright purple bench (for some color) make it look like a sitting area and really take away from the unevenness of it all.

if we angled the pool away from the house we would have made a bigger patio area between the house and pool and it probably would have looked just as good.

Build the wall even with back of pool wall and even with house doesn't need to be on the line. Otherwise landscape the triangle with some curves or anchor plantings and you wont really notice it. Hard to tell from you pics maybe take some from close to work outside

I think your pool builder has it correct. Pool is square with house, Wall is parallel to pool, upper area above wall has triangle that is softened with landscaping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How deep is your deep end going to be? Judging by the size of the boulders you have on your property, and the known ledge issue, I would be a little nervous trying to dig a pool 10 ft away from that new retaining wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.