Deep Cleaning Sand Filter - too late ?

LifeofPi

Feb 25, 2021
Western Australia
Hi,

Newbie on this forum. I have already spent multiple weeks browsing hundreds of discussions.
I am a pool owner for 2 years and obviously the main reason that brought me here was that I want to understand and manage my pool better than what the pool shops would offer me.

I have a Waterco sand filter S600 that I can confidently say was installed 12 years ago.
I can also confidently say that a deep cleaning was never done on it. Now I am suspecting that it is channeling as my backwash cycles are more frequent and do not expel a lot of dirt. Flakes of white deposit are generated by SWG and end up quickly in the filter.

I am awaiting my test kit to correct that balance but in the meantime, would you recommend to start with a deep clean of this filter ? Knowing that the multiport valve is getting a bit hard to turn, and plastic parts start falling apart. Is there a risk that that internal parts might break while cleaning it ? It is the middle of the swimming season and at this stage I haven't planned any SLAM. Is this filter almost at the end of its life cycle ?

Hi and welcome to TFP! Sounds like you are on the right track.

The first thing I would do is open up your filter to get eyes on what is going on. I would also be sourcing a new filter so you are ready to order and install it if it is needed.

The SWG making white deposits-are they on the cell it's self then coming off?

Hey Pi! Sounds like you've been doing your homework. I don't know anything about sand filters, just wanted to welcome you to TFP! You're in good hands now...

What does your pool water look like? Clarity of the pool water is the best indication of filter effectiveness.

Water chemistry is the other factor in water clarity and for that you need your test kit.

Do yourself a favor, if it ends up needing a new multiport or other major work, switch to a cartridge filter. Multi-ports do fail and at 12 years old, it is a likely candidate. Typically the gaskets go bad but if it has been sitting in full sun the case could also have a lot of UV damage and cracks. Cartridge filters are very low maintenance like 1 to 2 times per season that they need cleaning.

Hi and welcome to TFP! Sounds like you are on the right track.

The first thing I would do is open up your filter to get eyes on what is going on. I would also be sourcing a new filter so you are ready to order and install it if it is needed.

The SWG making white deposits-are they on the cell it's self then coming off?

Thanks for the advise, I have requested a quote for a replacement, just in case.
And yes you are correct, the flakes are coming off the self-cleaning cell

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.