Decking Material

My deck cost 2X what the pool did.
The wife wasn't aware of that fact until this weekend.
I pulled out all the receipts to show her. (I had paid cash for it, as I built it, so she didn't see it coming out of the account.)
And it IS pressure treated.
But I have to say that it is worth EVERY penny!
To the point that we are talking about enlarging it a bit this year.

i went with PT for my deck, and it was more than my pool. the slivers you are talking about can easily be taken care of if you just give it a good sanding and treating the wood after the wood has been out in the elements for awhile. i had to wait almost 2 months before i could stain the wood. have not had any problems with splinters for 3 years now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My front deck is grey composite. It is slippery as can be after a rain (pool splashout would be similar i assume) and hurts to sit on during sunny days. A few times the kids sprayed themselves with sublock there and it we all slipped for the next few days. We spray sunblock all the time on the stone patio at the pool and dont need to worry. It would stink to have to leave everytime.

When we rebuilt the back deck and stairs leading down to the pool, we gladly used PT.

We just signed a contract to have a deck built today. We got 3 estimates. With those I asked for prices doing it in PT and composite. My husband wanted composite because there's no maintenance. When the one contractor came and saw we have 3 kids, he suggested doing PT for the decking and vinyl railings with black spindles. The pictures he showed us are gorgeous. He said even with just water, it's very slippery. Add sunscreen dripping off wet bodies and it's worse. Just changing that, the cost of the deck (20 x 20) went from over $15K to $8500. We have a smaller deck on our back that is pressure treated and use Ready Seal deck stain and sealer on it every other year. It's about 15 years old and still looks new. I'm always barefoot and so are the kids. My sister has PT deck on her pool that's probably over 25 yrs old and it's grayed some, but no splinters. My husband changed the railings to vinyl for her about 8 years ago.

Reactions: Newdude
I have a bit of a different situation...I have a very small deck...need to measure, but thinking like 4 ft x 12 ft or so...just a metal deck that attaches right to the side of the pool.

It has been covered with sort of an "astro-turf" type material, but that stuff has disintegrated through 2 layers of it in 4-5 years.

I think I'm going to use this on top of the metal deck. Hopefully it will look/work nicely.

Other choice was just some rubber roll-out stuff, but I think that would be hot as heck, probably!

Or some more of the "astro-turf" stuff...but that stuff is kinda ugly.
Not sure why it started falling apart so quickly, maybe because we used salt in the pool for a few years...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.