Debris coming back into pool when vacuuming

mcelwab

Jul 9, 2020
Franklin, Indiana
Hi All, I'm new here. My pool was clear until a week and a half ago, when it turned quite cloudy and even a little brownish/greenis and I've been trying to clear it up ever since. There seems to be a lot of whitish/brownish debris in the bottom that clouds up when I brush it, which I am hoping is dead algae. However, when I vacuum it, it seems to shoot right back into the pool as though the filter is not catching it. I have a cartridge filter, which i have cleaned several times. I'm keeping the chlorine level high using liquid chlorine, but I haven't been able to get the proper test kits yet to properly SLAM it. Does it sound like I need to replace my filter cartridge? We switched from a sand filter to this one in 2018, but I've never replaced the cartridge, only cleaned it. It was worked great up until now. I'm not sure if its the cartridge or the fact that potentially let algae get out of control.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: A cartridge filter should last several season unless it's torn or the bands break so badly it can't stay together. While it does sound like the white stuff is dead algae, the SLAM Process is the still the best way to go once you get the proper test kit. Times are tough right now, but when you can, I'd get the TF-100. Maybe just get the FAS-DPD for now? Then you should be able to SLAM Process if you can do an accurate CYA test at home.

Because you are on a well, we can assume iron is a challenge each season, perhaps a high TA as well in your area. All of these can be managed quite well with the proper test kit because we sure hate to see people chasing their tail wasting money and time. But remember that even if your pool's iron level is high, you always have to kill/remove algae first, then treat for iron. So do the SLAM Process first, then try to remove or chemically treat for iron. Below is a great testimonial from someone else who removed their iron.

Thank you for your reply. I did order the TF-100 test kit last week and just got it today. Since last week I've been putting liquid chlorine into the pool, at least to get the chlorine up while waiting for the test kit. It's clearing up nicely. Today I will start the SLAM process to make sure I get rid of the algae or anything else lurking in there. I think we might be dealing with mustard algae, based on what I've been cleaning off the filter.

Glad to find this forum, as I've spent a lot of time and money at Leslie's which so far hasn't been terribly helpful!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Something ain't right inside the filter. Anything big enough to see with the eye should get trapped in there. Maybe there's a small tear somewhere. There's a whole lot of water under some pretty decent pressure -- like 3 or 4 garden hoses at once -- so it doesn't take much. Or the filter sealing surface is dented. An O-ring was left out. Something. It's great that you're going to kill algae but of you're blowing it right back into the pool it'll never clear.

I think we figured it out. When we cleaned the filter and put it back in, we didn't line it up properly with the inlet valve; additionally, I'm not sure it was seated properly. It seems to be doing fine now. We didn't realize there was a little arrow at the top that had to be lined up with the inlet. :)

• Love
Reactions: Richard320
full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.