Debris bypassing sand filter

May 28, 2020
Chesapeake VA
I have a Hayward S244T sand filter and I suspect that water and sediment is bypassing the filter. Two reasons for this:

1. Gauge pressure stays very near the clean pressure for weeks and even months without rising.

2. This morning, after the pump being off all night, the bottom of the pool wasperfectly clean. The pump came on at 7:00 and when I checked the pool at 9:30 there was a lot of very fine sediment in several places.

I have have had the fine sediment issue for quite awhile and I replaced the sand this spring. The laterals ands tandpipe were in good condition.

1. Is there an o-ring or gasket that seals the connection between the standpipe and the bottom of the multiport valve or is it just a slip fit?
2. Is it possible that the spider gasket in the multiport valve could be allowing water and the fine sediment to bypass the filter and enter the pool through the return jets? The sediment is extremely fine, like dust.

The standpipe should just slip into the MPV. While I wouldn't say it's impossible that something could slip inadvertently past the MPV if a spider gasket was pinched or defective, I would first consider a deep clean of the sand if you haven't done it in a while.

Reactions: JHolman
What sand do you have in your filter?

From Sand Filter Use and Care - Further Reading

Be aware that members have had issues with Quiikrete Pool Sand. Members find that Quikrete Pool Sand is too fine and perceptibly heterogenous (i.e., not filtered to #20 specifically). It does not filter well and tends to blow back into the pool. A search in the Forum can provide more information about the issues.

I replaced the sand with glass filter media this spring. I have considered the possibility that the fine dust might be algae but combined chlorine stays at 0.0 and I have not measured any decrease in chlorine by OCLT. I have several flowering crape myrtle trees near the pool and this problem always starts when they begin to flower. Also, this morning there was no sediment in the pool until the pump started running and considerable sediment accumulated between 7:00-9:30 AM (and only in spots where there is an eddy in the water flow). I'm sceptical that algae could have bloomed so quickly and no more sediment has accumulated since I vaccumed with my portable vac this afternoon.

R
I replaced the sand with glass filter media this spring. I have considered the possibility that the fine dust might be algae but combined chlorine stays at 0.0 and I have not measured any decrease in chlorine by OCLT. I have several flowering crape myrtle trees near the pool and this problem always starts when they begin to flower. Also, this morning there was no sediment in the pool until the pump started running and considerable sediment accumulated between 7:00-9:30 AM (and only in spots where there is an eddy in the water flow). I'm sceptical that algae could have bloomed so quickly and no more sediment has accumulated since I vaccumed with my portable vac this afternoon.

The pool was starting to get a little cloudy so I added some clarifier yesterday morning and ran the pump all day. Water was much clearer by evening and very clear this morning with no sediment visible on the bottom. After the pump kicked on the sediment quickly accumulated. I vacuumed using a portable vac with a fine sediment filter. Water and bottom are now very clear. It would seem that if algae was a problem it would have bloomed in the water during the sunny day today?

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits.
Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH (not super important in a vinyl pool withouta heater, but a baseline is good)
CYA
Salt
Water temp

We never recommend the use of clarifier - especially if the pool is getting a little cloudy.

The multiport valve has an o-ring on each pipe that enters the filter. It's in further than the nut that secures the MP valve. The spider gasket in the valve can let water by if it isn't seating correctly.

Glass media doesn't live up to the hype it gets from the PS and others. Sand really works quite well, as long as it's pool sand and not of the Quik-crete variety mentioned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another piece of info: after I added clarifier yesterday, pump pressure increased from 12 to 14. Today it is back to 12. Since opening the pool six weeks ago pressure has only increased from 11 to 12.
Start your filter cycle earlier in the day before pollen and whatnot have the opportunity to start sinking to the bottom. Be sure you have a working weir in your skimmer and the pool will stay cleaner.

Start your filter cycle earlier in the day before pollen and whatnot have the opportunity to start sinking to the bottom. Be sure you have a working weir in your skimmer and the pool will stay cleaner.
I start filtering at 7:00 AM. As I said, there was no sediment visible on the bottom before the pump started, only shortly after so the sediment seems to have blown out of the returns. Also, I have a Betta Bot solar skimmer that patrols the pool surface 24/7 and keeps the surface very clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.