Dead algae?

Dave31410

Bronze Supporter
Feb 27, 2018
Savannah, GA
This our 4th year with the pool. There seems to be a lot more dead algae on the bottom than in previous years. We have had a lot of rain which may be a factor. I have to run the robot almost every day to clean the bottom. The water is clear but not crystal clear. I have cleaned out the light niche.
Latest tests:
FC 14
CC 0
CYA 70
Ph 7.4
Is this something to be concerned about? With the indicated Cl levels how is algae even forming to this level. Is it just a function of high summer heat and rain?

Attachments

• algae.JPG
    algae.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 16
While your FC is obviously elevated right now (which is good) it's not at SLAM level, so sometimes even an elevated FC level isn't enough to combat what is going on. If the water continues to remain hazy or gets worse, I would do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test next.

Have you ever did a SLAM Process? If you have had consistent algae over 4 years - even though you may have “high” FC relative to the FC/CYA Levels you may have never really gotten rid of algae so it just creeps in when your FC drops. There is also a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test that you could try to determine current status. Are you losing more FC per day then normal?

As a follow up question, how is it that algae can be present with a good Cl level? Is it always trying to gain a foothold and we are in a continuous battle? If that is the case how can pools survive with the industry recommended Cl levels of 1-3 ppm?

how is it that algae can be present with a good Cl level? Is it always trying to gain a foothold and we are in a continuous battle? If that is the case how can pools survive with the industry recommended Cl levels of 1-3 ppm?
Sometimes, even with the best TFP intentions, algae tries to sneak in. No way to pinpoint every scenario, but I can guarantee that maintaining the proper FC-to-CYA ratio as noted on the FC/CYA Levels is always more successful in preventing an algae bloom than those generic recommended levels. Good thing for you is that as a TFP member, you are accustomed to a certain degree of water clarity and have higher expectations than perhaps someone who "thought" they had nice water. So if you do have a heavy organic load in the water, catching it quickly works to your advantage.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.