DE Filter with no multi-port valve

SteeVie

Apr 28, 2022
Apple Valley, CA
Just got our pool built, and didn't realize until toward the end of the project that the PB did not include a multi-port valve on our DE filter (Jandy DEV60.) He said that he doesn't use them anymore and they're not needed on a DE filter as large as mine. He claims I'll only need to fully disassemble every few months. Thus far it's been running 24/7 since Sunday and the filter pressure is still good. It doesn't seem all that difficult to disassemble and rinse. Also, our home is on a septic, so maybe he didn't want us to have to backwash onto our soil and have it run through the yard?
Anyway, is it normal to not put a multi-port valve onto a filter in some cases, or was this just a cost-cutting measure?

Steve,

It is not "normal" but does work. I have two rent house pools with DE filters. Both MPVs went bad over time, and I just removed them. Both pools have VS pumps that run at 1200 RPM most of the time. So, they always have low filter pressure.

I only clean the filters twice a year... Has been working just fine for me for the past couple of years.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve,

It is not "normal" but does work. I have two rent house pools with DE filters. Both MPVs went bad over time, and I just removed them. Both pools have VS pumps that run at 1200 RPM most of the time. So, they always have low filter pressure.

I only clean the filters twice a year... Has been working just fine for me for the past couple of years.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks a lot for the response, Jim! I'll quit worrying about it them. I've learned a ton here the past few months, and this was my first time posting. This place is such an awesome resource. I couldn't have handled our build or the pool's chemistry without the contributions of folks like you!

Attachments

• img_2743.jpg
    img_2743.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.