Backwash port leaking on filter

Anicoson12

Jun 1, 2023
New Jersey
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there, this is my first pool I’ve ever owned and when we started it up, it leaked really bad out of the backwash port. We have a Hayward vari flow xl sand filter. I took the multi port valve off and saw that the spider gasket was worn down. Replaced that and there is still a leak but much smaller. I then went ahead and just replaced the entire mpv assembly with the already glued in spider gasket. The leak is at a trickle now but it still won’t go away. Am I missing something? Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 10
Hi there! Welcome. Usually this means that your Spider Gasket under the Multiport Valve is wonky. It will entail removing the multiport valve (MPV) and replacing the gasket and using a bit of *pool* lube on it.

Maddie :flower:

Hi there! Welcome. Usually this means that your Spider Gasket under the Multiport Valve is wonky. It will entail removing the multiport valve (MPV) and replacing the gasket and using a bit of *pool* lube on it.

Maddie :flower:
Hey, so I did replace the entire mpv and the gasket that came together in one giant part. It’s the one that comes with the already glued in spider gasket. I also lined everything as well with pool lube.

Where is it leaking? From under the handle? Side of the MPV between the upper and lower half? Where the pipes enter the mpv? Somewhere else?

Where is it leaking? From under the handle? Side of the MPV between the upper and lower half? Where the pipes enter the mpv? Somewhere else?
It’s leaking out of the waste port. I’m not sure if you can see in the picture I have but it’s leaking there and I read to change the spider gasket or just the entire mpv with the spider gasket already in it, so I chose to do that and it’s still leaking just less than before.

Dang you're good @JamesW ! NOTHING gets by you.
Americas Got Talent Wow GIF by Got Talent Global

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.