DE filter repair

That looks like a relatively easy fix, assuming there’s no crack in the filter housing itself. There may even be an o-ring in that connection that’s gone bad. That said, I’m no plumber but I’m sure others more knowledgeable will weigh in.

Wow. Whoever plumbed that so screwed you. It looks to me like it is a threaded to slip fitting in the filter. And you can't tighten it which is probably all it needs due to the rest of the plumbing being glued. It is going to be hard to even remove that you'll have to lay the filter on it's side to be able to screw that out unless you cut the plumbing first. I suggest cutting the plumbing on the straight section going into the filter so you can unscrew it to inspect the oring. If it is just an oring, you probably could screw that section back in once you fix it then use a coupler to re-attach the part you cut.

There is no O ring seal there, it is just a 2" FIP port. You need to replace that male adapter and not thread it in to the filter so far. About 5 or 6 tight wraps of Teflon tape, a small amount of silicone sealant over that and thread in until no less than 3 threads are showing should repair it if the tank is not damaged.

I still need to cut the PVC in order to get to the port. Filter came with the house. Not sure how old it is. I don't have the right tool to do a DIY job. Going to get a handyman.

Thank you all for help. Paid a handyman $85 including parts. Added a union in the middle. Now if it leaks again I can disjoin easily and tighten part going 8n to the filter.

Attachments

• 20220711_201750.jpg
    20220711_201750.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: IUsedToSail
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.