DE blown back into pool

merentha

May 13, 2020
Boston, MA
Hi, All -

I had an issue with my pump, which was at end-of-life and was just replaced -- but on the way to getting that done, I had quite a bit of DE blown into my (in-ground, vinyl-lined) pool.

I waited for it to settle, then very carefully and sloooowly vacuumed up everything I could see with a manual vacuum, then went over it again slowly for stuff I couldn't see. Now I'm using my robot vacuum to stir up anything that's left so it can go through the skimmer. It picks up a little bit of DE in the process but not much - I'm really just using it as a little stir-stick right now.

The pool looks completely clear and swimmable, and there's no visible DE, but since the vacuum is still picking some up, I know it's in there. My question is - how safe is it for us to swim in a pool that may or may not have free-floating DE in it, or DE on the bottom and sides that we may stir up by swimming? It's so gritty, I worry about skin irritation, or accidental swallowing (kids, not me!).

We've only got about a week left before we close it down - September is always a race with the giant maple tree that overhangs the pool, and the leaf fall is about to get aggressive. Is it safe to enjoy the pool for the remaining week?

Is it safe to enjoy the pool for the remaining week?
It should be fine. Especially for only a week. DE is only harmful in its airborne state. So caution must be used when dumping it and creating a cloud. The ultra fine particles get trapped in your lungs and whatnot. Similar to concrete. It’s harmless if you don’t breathe it. (y)

Reactions: merentha
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.