Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I’ve been trying to add cya to my pool using the sock method suspended in front of a skimmer for over a week now squeezing the sock every chance I get. After a week I’d say no more than a quarter of it had dissolved. I removed the the cya from the sock and emptied it into a 5 gallon bucket of warm water and have been stirring it trying to dissolve it. I stir it up and let the granules settle back to the bottom and pour a little of the liquid into the skimmers a few times a day but this has been going on for two days and I still have over half of it that is still not dissolved. Am I doing something wrong or does it just take forever?

G,

You hang it in front of a return or you can put it in the skimmer basket..

I use a Ladies Knee-high stocking and it works about 10 x better than one of my old gym socks.. And it smells better too... :mrgreen:

It might have something to do with the specific brand of CYA, but mine disappears in less than a day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Geaux, I'd be curious to know what brand of stabilizer you purchased and when. I too use a tube sock in front of a return. In warm water it's gone it about 30 minutes with rigorous squeezing.

As for Jim and his ladies knee-highs ... well... that's for a different thread. :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I had it suspended directly in front of one my skimmers divided in two cotton tube socks. This is what I was using and and I bought it right before using it.

Attachments

• E8F6FBCA-6236-45C8-BC8D-F61E71C64223.jpeg
    E8F6FBCA-6236-45C8-BC8D-F61E71C64223.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 8
Well, my gut is telling me it's that brand of stabilizer. While I couldn't find any negative discussions on the forum about that particular item, it is rated at 98% and there are other brands that are 99-100% cyanuric acid (without the hydrate). So you might look for that next time. I got some pure stuff at Walmart and Home Depot recently. You might have better luck with those.

I had it suspended directly in front of one my skimmers divided in two cotton tube socks.
Skimmer is the suction side. Hang in front of a return, where the water returns to the pool.

Or, put the sock in the skimmer basket. I do that, just like Jim.

Reactions: proavia
Skimmer is the suction side. Hang in front of a return, where the water returns to the pool.

Or, put the sock in the skimmer basket. I do that, just like Jim.
Wow, I’m not sure why I continue to think of a skimmer as a return! I didn’t even catch it when the guys specifically mentioned RETURN. Thanks for the clarification. I’ll try tossing the sock in the skimmer basket and see if I make some progress! Thanks as always for all the help

Reactions: mknauss
I’ve found that adding CYA in smaller quantities like 5 or 6 oz or less, it will dissolve pretty much completely without some of it forming a ‘rock’ which then takes forever to dissolve. If I need 12 or 18 oz of CYA I add it in smaller batches. You could also divide the total into 2 or 3 socks if you wanted to add it all at once.

Reactions: GeauxTigerz
Have you tried a skimmer sock? They stretch over the skimmer basket and a lot thinner than a cotton sock. I've had no problem with it dissolving the last two times I have added. Just wondering if your tube sock is too thick.

Reactions: GeauxTigerz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.