Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I’ve been trying to add cya to my pool using the sock method suspended in front of a skimmer for over a week now squeezing the sock every chance I get. After a week I’d say no more than a quarter of it had dissolved. I removed the the cya from the sock and emptied it into a 5 gallon bucket of warm water and have been stirring it trying to dissolve it. I stir it up and let the granules settle back to the bottom and pour a little of the liquid into the skimmers a few times a day but this has been going on for two days and I still have over half of it that is still not dissolved. Am I doing something wrong or does it just take forever?

Pool_Medic

In The Industry
Apr 1, 2018
Bangor Maine
Suspend in front of the return so it’s being hit by the water flow, I’ve dissolved 3 lbs in 50 degree water in a sock thus way. The key is to keep it in front of the water flow and not off to the side.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
G,

You hang it in front of a return or you can put it in the skimmer basket..

I use a Ladies Knee-high stocking and it works about 10 x better than one of my old gym socks.. And it smells better too... :mrgreen:

It might have something to do with the specific brand of CYA, but mine disappears in less than a day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

GeauxTigerz

Gold Supporter
Nov 11, 2020
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Thanks for the replies guys. I had it suspended directly in front of one my skimmers divided in two cotton tube socks. This is what I was using and and I bought it right before using it.

Attachments

• E8F6FBCA-6236-45C8-BC8D-F61E71C64223.jpeg
    E8F6FBCA-6236-45C8-BC8D-F61E71C64223.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 7

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Well, my gut is telling me it's that brand of stabilizer. While I couldn't find any negative discussions on the forum about that particular item, it is rated at 98% and there are other brands that are 99-100% cyanuric acid (without the hydrate). So you might look for that next time. I got some pure stuff at Walmart and Home Depot recently. You might have better luck with those.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
I had it suspended directly in front of one my skimmers divided in two cotton tube socks.
Skimmer is the suction side. Hang in front of a return, where the water returns to the pool.

Or, put the sock in the skimmer basket. I do that, just like Jim.

Reactions: proavia

GeauxTigerz

Gold Supporter
Nov 11, 2020
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Skimmer is the suction side. Hang in front of a return, where the water returns to the pool.

Or, put the sock in the skimmer basket. I do that, just like Jim.
Wow, I’m not sure why I continue to think of a skimmer as a return! I didn’t even catch it when the guys specifically mentioned RETURN. Thanks for the clarification. I’ll try tossing the sock in the skimmer basket and see if I make some progress! Thanks as always for all the help

Reactions: mknauss

revitup

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Nov 30, 2019
Pawleys Island, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I’ve found that adding CYA in smaller quantities like 5 or 6 oz or less, it will dissolve pretty much completely without some of it forming a ‘rock’ which then takes forever to dissolve. If I need 12 or 18 oz of CYA I add it in smaller batches. You could also divide the total into 2 or 3 socks if you wanted to add it all at once.

Reactions: GeauxTigerz

geh

Gold Supporter
Nov 28, 2020
New Orleans
Have you tried a skimmer sock? They stretch over the skimmer basket and a lot thinner than a cotton sock. I've had no problem with it dissolving the last two times I have added. Just wondering if your tube sock is too thick.

Reactions: GeauxTigerz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
If you are running your pump on the lowest speed that may also be why its dissolving slowly. If having it in the skimmer doesn't help crank up the pump speed a little.