CYA test inconsistency

If you are testing CYA at 90 or higher you should follow step 8 and do the 50% dilution test.

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two

So when I found this forum and pool school I stopped using trichlor from a chlorinator. I turned it to off. My initial readings from my tf-100 kit were at 80 for CYA. I had been using liquid chlorine since then. However it seems as though somehow my CYA levels have risen. Today I disconnected my chlorinator because it had a few undissolved pucks in it. Just in case it was letting some water through.
OK, got it! I had the same problem before I switched to SWG. I used pucks for vacation and I'd get them out by sticking a wire with a little "L" in the end. Slide it down the side then turn it under the puck, twist and pull up the pucks. Worked great and I still had my chlorinator for vacations.

I hope this helps.

Chris

A few pucks in a pool of 60K is only a couple ppm CYA.

If you want to nail down your CYA level -- use the dilute test.
Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.

Reactions: setsailsoon
A few pucks in a pool of 60K is only a couple ppm CYA.

If you want to nail down your CYA level -- use the dilute test.
Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.
I did this test just now. Regular way. Can’t see dot at 100. Dilute way. I put 10ml tap water and 10ml of pool water in a vial. Mixed together. Then poured that up to the sticker and filled to top of sticker with CYA reagent. I lose the dot between 40 and 30.

So your CYA is somewhere between 80 and 100. Exact number doesn’t matter. Your CYA should be 30-50. So you need to drain or do a water exchange of 40%-50%.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.