CYA Removal

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
I opened my pool today and CYA is at 20 vs 50 when I closed it for the fall. We had some heavy rain this winter so since I drained a few times I thought it would be lower, but not by this much. I also thought that CYA could ONLY be reduced by draining, but now I read the following on TFP.
"Users need to be mindful that their pool’s free chlorine levels will decrease after addition to the water. In the summer, an average pool may lose 3 ppm of FC per day, while it can take weeks to lose 3 ppm of CYA"

What? So it disspates on it's own!? That's new to me, any opinions

This year we got about a foot less rain than usual, per how much I had to pump, err... didn't have to pump out over the winter.

I was not surprised to have 30 CYA at opening when I'd usually lose all but an unreadable amount of my 70.

Make sure that you run your pump long enough after opening before taking tests and making adjustments. After winter the water can be quite stratified, with fresh rainwater at the top and heavier, saltier, old water at the bottom.

It can take a day of letting the pump run before you get reliable test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.