TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
  • How do you get your granular CYA into a sock? I've tried various methods, including a big funnel or stretching the top of the sock around a container. The funnel is slow, but either way, I always end up spilling a little. There must be a better way.
  • Do you weigh your CYA before or after it's in the sock? I guess it doesn't matter but I seem to want to tare the sock for some reason.
  • Do you find that after several days you still have a toe full of undissolved granules? I always seem to have some that never dissolves. I get my "100% CYA" from Leslie's.

I weigh out the CYA, then fill a rigid plastic cup with CYA, and stretch the sock over the rigid cup, then invert the cup to dump the CYA into the sock,,,,, repeating as necessary.

I rarely spill a grain of CYA.

I squeeze the sock a few times a day till fully dissolved (yes it takes a few days)

• How do you get your granular CYA into a sock? I've tried various methods, including a big funnel or stretching the top of the sock around a container. The funnel is slow, but either way, I always end up spilling a little. There must be a better way.

Below is a pic of my CYA addition kit. In the upper right is the funnel I put into the top of the sock and then pour the stabilizer into. It is dual use and its day job is adding salt to my Miele Dishwasher.

full

• Do you weigh your CYA before or after it's in the sock? I guess it doesn't matter but I seem to want to tare the sock for some reason.

I weigh the sock using a food scale.

• Do you find that after several days you still have a toe full of undissolved granules? I always seem to have some that never dissolves. I get my "100% CYA" from Leslie's.

When the leftover is mushy I turn the sock inside out and dump it into my skimmer and call it done

How do you get your granular CYA into a sock?
With your size pool ?

I used to use the long sleeves from a tshirt but now I just use the shirt itself. I dump 4 to 5 lbs on the chest and make a sack out of it, then I tie that up on the pool brush to hang in the pool.

I just eyeball it because it really doesn't add up for us and even being a full pound off is less than 4ppm. You, me and Allen need 3 lbs for 10 ppm. Lol.

In the spring I let it go a full 24 hours but when it's warm it only needs 30 mins. There is always a shot glass or so worth that didn't dissolve no matter how much I soak and squeeze the shirt. I left the almost empty shirt in a skimmer for a week and it still had the crusties. I spray those off into the grass with the hose and hang the shirt on my sub panel post for next time.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Food scale, skimmer sock from Amazon, Puritech 100% CYA from Amazon (buy in bulk), paper plate bended/folded into funnel (it fits as deep as I want into the skimmer sock), red solo cup to scoop the CYA into paper plate funnel which is in the skimmer sock, which is on the scale. Drop it into the skimmer basket with the hairnet (from Amazon). Let it soak for a couple of hours, then squeeze it periodically. When basically nothing left, leave the skimmer sock in the skimmer.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All good methods. Mine is a skimmer “sock” and using a red plastic solo cup with the bottom cut out as a big funnel. Dump in the CYA, knot the top of the skimmer sock and off to the races. A skimmer sock will hold about 2 lbs. max. If more is needed, just use another skimmer sock; they’re cheap.

I use skimmer socks, and I usually will shoot for 1/3 or 1/2 of my desired result to make sure I don't go over. I put the dry stabilizer into the skimmer sock, tie it and put it on the leaf rake net by the deep end of the pool by one of the jets and it's usually gone in 1-3 days depending on how much I put in.

I usually buy cya in 25 lb bags. Use an old cya tub that holds 1.75 lb per label about 80pc full to scoop cya from the large bag. I have been using a funnel to add the cya to old over-the-calf socks. One sock will easily hold one or two 1.75-lb doses. Usually have to shake the funnel a little to keep it from clogging, but rarely any stray granules. I do hold the sock above an old cut off chlorine jug to minimize scatter. Knot the sock, tie it in front of a return, wait about 15 min, then start squeezing the sock until i get tired, a few minutes. wait a while, resume. Takes an hour or so. There is sometimes some residual in the toe of the sock but that gets squeezed out quickly. After seeing the other ideas in this thread, i think i will try opening the sock wide to cover the top of my 1.75 lb tub and dumping into the sock instead of using a funnel. Could be a big mess coming soon.....

Save a 32 oz Yogurt container. Put it on the scale. Buy CYA in the bag. Pour from bag into Yogurt container on scale. If you have CYA in a bucket, use Yogurt container as your scoop. Get your 1 or 2 pounds, whatever amount into your yogurt container. Put hairnet in skimmer. Pour CYA from Yogurt container into the hairnet in skimmer. I RARELY spill anything. This mode of deployment, I get it dissolved in a hour or two. Keep yogurt container with CYA written on the lid. You can even pre-package your CYA for use later...just keep the lid on. When you are ready, pour.

I get the 25# bag also. I have several boxes of knee highs I get on sale and use for skimmer socks. The yoghurt container works perfect- just stretch the knee high over it and dump. mine will dissolve in 24-36 hours in the skimmer with a little sock massage once in awhile. Keep it simple.

Darn it. I got all excited thinking these would be questions we really haven’t ever seen before!

I scoop mine with a measuring cup and cover with skimmer sock, then flip it over. I dangle over return until the next time I get in, then grab whatever is left and swim around, squeezing and mashing it up until sock is empty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.