CYA Question - add Stabilizer at 30?

Dec 26, 2017
Austin/TX
I have a 3 month old 18000 gallon plaster pool.

My CYA reading today was 30, and pool math suggests I add stabilizer - should I?

I have a trichlor chlorinator but it's mostly been off.

FWIW the rest of my readings were:

CH - 300
TA - 120
PH - 7.8

I've been having to add acid regularly to bring down PH, seems like it likes right to be right around 8. Ive been cross referencing PH with the Pentair acid demand test which I like because when your really purple it gives you an idea how from ideal you are.

A CYA of 30 is fine for now. In your area you will most likely want a CYA of 50 for the summer. So if you use trichlor to get there, be sure to stop using them at CYA of 50 and switch to liquid chlorine added DAILY.

Your pH is rising as your TA is fairly high. That is OK with trichlor use. Once done with trichlor, you will be adding more acid and your TA will drop until your pH and TA find a balance point. If you have high TA fill water and will be adding it for evaporation, you will need to add acid on a fairly consistent basis.

Take care.

A CYA of 30 is fine for now. In your area you will most likely want a CYA of 50 for the summer. So if you use trichlor to get there, be sure to stop using them at CYA of 50 and switch to liquid chlorine added DAILY.

Your pH is rising as your TA is fairly high. That is OK with trichlor use. Once done with trichlor, you will be adding more acid and your TA will drop until your pH and TA find a balance point. If you have high TA fill water and will be adding it for evaporation, you will need to add acid on a fairly consistent basis.

Take care.

Welcome back Marty...

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.