Cya level out of wack after stain removal

tigers15

Jul 30, 2019
Baton Rouge
New to the site. Thanks for your patience.
20,000 gallon, gunite finish
Earlier this week I decided to use Leslie’s stain component to remove a few stains.
Hindsight I should’ve left everything alone.
I followed all the instructions. Using a metal free program in addition to Leslie’s stain removal program.
At completion. I cleaned the filter cartridges and tested the water. The chlorine was .5. So after 4 hours - this is where I messed up. I checked the chlorine and it and hadn’t risen.
So anyway - I shocked the Dang pool. Overnight it turned green. I’m thinking I introduced metal back into the pool.
I was thinking that using Cu-later pacs would help clear up the pool. Nothing.
My latest test this morning.
Total Chlorine 8.9
Free chlorine 8.9
Alk 114
pH 7.7
Calcium 0
Cya 129
Phosphate 362

My question is this:
Will draining the pool by at least a foot, cleaning filter and adding fresh water. Will this be enough to drop the cya levels to 50 or so. I plan on having to do this again after filling the pool back to a normal level.
Is there anything else that I should consider?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Where did you get those test results? They do not look like they are from one of the test kits we recommend. See: Test Kits Compared
As such, we really do not trust them, and will hesitate to offer chemistry advice based on them.
Really, nothing reliably tests CYA above 100ppm.

Lowering CYA is linear with the amount of water replaced. Replace 20% of the water, lower CYA 20%. Replace 50%, lower CYA 50%.
To get to 50ppm from 129 (if you choose to believe it), would require replacing about 60% of your water.

Assuming these results are correct, and since it appears they are pool store results we don't assume anything except that they aren't correct...

But IF they were correct and you drained your pool 50%, your CYA would then be ~65(we'd call that 70 btw). So unless your pool is 2' deep, draining a foot won't do that. Same for CH, but that's also assuming your fill water has 0 CH which is unlikely in your locale.

See Jason's post above. And consider getting yourself a good test kit. See Test Kits Compared

You should get a test kit and get some real results.
If CYA is indeed that high, replace 60% of the water.
Then follow the SLAM Process to kill off the organics in the water.

And at this point, who knows what the Leslie's chemical soup you have been adding is doing to the water.
A tenet of TFP is to only add what the pool needs based on accurate test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.