CVA-24 actuator stuck / clicking

jackheney

Silver Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Philadephia
When I flip my pool to spa mode, the return valve actuator tries to turn but gets hung up in a number of places and starts clicking loudly...I can force it (gently) the rest of the way around with a little manual pressure, and once in spa mode the same things happens going the other way when I try to get back to pool mode. Video linked below. Something stuck in the valve? Motor issue? I took the top off the actuator and the motor itself seems to be working, so I'm not sure whether the microswitches are the culprit here or not (they seem to be a common point of failure based on the cursory reading I've done). Hoping someone can set me in the right direction...thanks in advance!

Jack

Video - Clicking Actuator

Did it run with the top off? I have to lube the oring in the top part of the actuator that fits over the shaft occasionally. Try that.

HI Marty, thank you so much for the quick reply.

Forgive the newbie questions, I just bought the house last year and am new to pool stuff.

I took the entire actuator off to see if this was something in the valve itself. The valve can open/close cleanly, and even with the actuator decoupled from the valve, when I triggered the system to flip the actuator it still sticks. So I know fir sure the problem is somewhere in the actuator.

Here's a video of it running with the top pulled off:

Actuator - No Top

When you say the O-ring in the top part of the actuator, I'm not sure I get what your referencing. Are you talking about this part:

IMG_4155.jpeg

Or this part:

IMG_4156.jpeg

And what's the proper type of lubricant to use on this?

Thanks again!

Jack

I was talking about the gasket/oring in the cover that you had removed from the actuator. So that is not the issue.

It appears something has failed in the cam/limit switch assembly. Be sure the cam is secure, the limit switches are clean, etc. The motor in the actuator looks to be running fine.

Thats odd. There is normally no liquid there so that has gotten into the actuator somehow.

No problem. I would keep the old one for parts. Especially the limit switches.

In the future, I would suggest pulling the top off and lubricating all the sealing surfaces once or twice a year. You get moisture/rain and that may prevent a recurrence.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.