cutting my intex pool

racerboy6996

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 23, 2010
Albemarle, NC
I upgraded from the Intex 1000gph pump that came with my pool to a 2500gph. It came with the adapters so I could connect it to the smaller connectors on the 16ft & smaller Intex pools and that is how I had it hooked up for a total of 3 days.

Today I finally decided to cut the pool so I could put in the larger through the wall fittings for the strainer & return that came with the pump. I thought it would be nice to have an adjustable return jet.

I used the tip given by comawhite12 about using a bowl inside the pool to cover the existing fittings so I wouldnt lose a lot of water.

I was extremely nervous taking a blade to a perfectly good pool, but all worked out in the end.

Thank you comawhite for walking me through the steps.

racerboy6996 said:
I upgraded from the Intex 1000gph pump that came with my pool to a 2500gph. It came with the adapters so I could connect it to the smaller connectors on the 16ft & smaller Intex pools and that is how I had it hooked up for a total of 3 days.

Today I finally decided to cut the pool so I could put in the larger through the wall fittings for the strainer & return that came with the pump. I thought it would be nice to have an adjustable return jet.

I used the tip given by comawhite12 about using a bowl inside the pool to cover the existing fittings so I wouldnt lose a lot of water.

I was extremely nervous taking a blade to a perfectly good pool, but all worked out in the end.

Thank you comawhite for walking me through the steps.

I am getting ready to replace the 1000gph pump with a 2500gph pump and plan on using fittings that come with the pump as well. So I plan on cutting the existing holes to make it fit. Did you just use any bowl or a specific size bowl that would work best? Did it suction itself to the pool?

This sounds like a 2 person job, one in the pool holding the bowl, one cutting the pool. It also sounds scary but i'm sure it will work out.

Yes it's a two person job, suction will do some of the work. I had my 4 year old daughter hold the pyrex bowl in place from in the pool as I cut from the outside. I actually had to cut one hole twice as I was over cautious and didn't make it large enough the first time.

msgtdan said:
Yes it's a two person job, suction will do some of the work. I had my 4 year old daughter hold the pyrex bowl in place from in the pool as I cut from the outside. I actually had to cut one hole twice as I was over cautious and didn't make it large enough the first time.

Ok, my son is 6.5. I'm gonna make him man up and hold that bowl! Thanks. :goodjob:

I'd wait for warmer days it's turning kind of cool around here right now :-D If he gives you trouble about it point to my profile pic and tell him that little girl did it :lol:

I just completed this "operation" as well. Yes it's scary, but the end result is SO worth it. I went from the teeny pump that came with the pool to the 633T.

1. I loosened the 4 clamps holding the hoses onto the pump and going to the pool wall.
2. I lifted the pump above water level, took off the hoses from the pump and had my daughter hold the ends above water level. (No kid? maybe bungee them to the ladder or something).
3. I slipped the large rubber washer that came with the new pump intake piece onto one of the hoses and used it to mark the cut line on the outside of the pool, then put it back on the intake piece. I bungeed the hose to the ladder, freeing my kid for the next step. The mark was coincidentally the same diameter as the black rubber sleeve that the old hose slipped onto.
4. I put the new intake piece inside a small mixing bowl that was just barely big enough, loosened the existing piece inside the pool (this is when slight leaking started), so my daughter could easily pop it off and position the bowl over the opening. While she did that, I started (eeeeekk!) cutting the liner on my cut mark. Yes, leaking, then gushing, but the bowl did a decent job of sealing most of the water out. My daughter said it sort of self-suctioned.
5. When the hole was cut, I reached through the hole for the intake piece that was inside the bowl, pulled it through the hole and screwed both the washer and the (already closed) valve onto the threads. There was very little water leaking out of the pool during this step, mostly just the little bit that was in the hose. My daughter took the bowl off. Yay there was no leaking. Very slick.
6. We did the same thing to the return. I am SO HAPPY to have a bigger pump on this thing. I love the fact it has a timer.

Now I've got to get a GFCI on the outlet on the house. Funny how the cheap little pump had one already attached to it and this big one has just a regular 3 prong. Also, true confession time:

The above steps were how I WISHED it had gone down. What really happened was I had precariously balanced the pump on top of the ladder before I started cutting. As soon as I finished cutting the hole, the hose dangled freely, the movement of which was enough to topple the pump to the ground. I didn't notice as I was busy pulling the piece through the liner and screwing everything together. I was admiring the end result when my daughter pointed out the fact that GALLONS of water were coursing through the fallen pump and the hose. Oops.

thanks for that input. i did get my new holes cut and bigger pump installed. i had my wife hold the inside bowl, i also had an outside bowl at times. it went really well. i have to admit, i was very nervous cutting the holes. it was worth it, the new 2500 gal pump cleared my pool up and we are happy swimmers!

Re: cutting my intex pool & how to winterize

Has anyone cut their pool for the 2500gph pump and successfully winterized the cut pool? I winterize every year here in NJ with no problem. I am concerned how to seal the cut hole in the wall. What could I use to seal the hole & keep the water in? Usually I use the little plastic caps that fit the smaller connecter tubes. I use one on the inside & one outside for suction to keep them in place during freezing & thawing. Lost half the pool water one year when the little cup was pulled out by a bad winter.

The bowl idea worked great!!! I cut a hole lower in the pool to install a new suction port for a fountain. I am installing a fountain using an extra 1500/gph Intex pump that I have. The used the bowl to hold in water, which suctioned to the inside of the pool once I started cutting. I literally only lost maybe a 1/2 gallon of water. Got the new port installed and it is leak free!!! I will post pics of the modifications once completed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recently bit the bullet and cut the liner for a through the wall skimmer. That went like a charm, but then I realized that although it got a lot of stuff off the surface, the old return (no eyeball) was not circulating the water correctly and therefore the skimmer was not skimming all the bits it was capable of. My pool is older & had the 1.25 hose connections. I just a few minutes ago cut the pool again to install the l.5" return with the eyeball & strainer. Seems to be holding well, no leaks, but I'm adding more water before turning on the pump. I hope being able to direct the water flow will help.

I as well bought a bigger Intex sandfilter pump combo and cut the holes to fit the bigger fittings. What a huge differance the sand pump filter makes compared to the older cartridge version.\
If anyone here is debating on upgrading, stop it and just do it!

Will add our experience. We added the Hayward skimmer to our Intex pool a few days ago while filling up the pool. Here are our steps:
1. fill the pool to just under the cut
2. use the plastic cover to mark holes location with a marker
3. punch holes
4. set up the plastic part of your skimmer (no gasket) and use an exacto knife to cut through. Go all the way to the corners to make a clean cut. (You could also mark the opening by tracing it with a marker and the cut).
5. open the gasket and set it so that the pool liner settles in the groove between the two sides of the gasket
6. screw in the rest of the skimmer.
7. plumb the outlet of the skimmer to the intake into the pump.

Eh. and this is where it gets interesting.
- the gasket is ever so slightly larger than the frame (1mm or so). That is because it's supposed to go around the opening. Cutting right along the size of the frame will get you the perfect sized hole. Don;t use the gasket as a template! Use the plastic frame instead!
- There are online videos instructing to cut the gasket (so that you will not have to empty the pool. We're really talking about lowering the level by a few inches. I'm not sure it's worth the risk.
- The skimmer comes with a graduated tube you can use to connect the hose. Unfortunately, it graduates to an opening of 1.25 -- making all this effort useless. So you will have to get a different adapter. Leslie's sold me something similar to this: Amazon.com: Hayward SPX1091Z2 Hose Male Insert Adapter Replacement for Select Hayward Sand Filters (2 Pack): Garden & Outdoor
(amazon was out)
- You may have bought the nice 1.5" return from Intex. Again, look inside -- the opening narrows down to a 1.25" opening. Use instead the return that does come with the skimmer. Yes, one more hole to cut (just follow the outline around the 1.25" black re-enforced sleeve, it will get you the perfect size opening while still well within the area re-enforced with a double liner).
- If you went through the trouble of widening the holes, make sure you are upgrading your pump and filter accordingly. The wimpy pump that likely came with the pool will not move the water enough to give you good circulation in the pool. Get a 12" Intex filter and pump at the very least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.