Curious what others do?

sersee

May 23, 2014
South Jersey
I just had to replace my previous Dolphin which was a good boy but passed away after almost 3 years. I came here and settled on a Pentair Prowler 920 through Marina pools, spa and patio. They were awesome btw!! So we have to use an extension cord. My pool is out in the yard( where it should be) and not right up next to my house where my outlet is. We used an extension cord in the past to make sure the control box was closer to the pool so my poor passed away Dolphin( his name was Wall-e) could clean my whole pool.

So our new one ( his name is Moe) stopped working. I just got Moe on 5/1. The control box wouldn't work. It flashed on and just turned off. Since we are dummies, we didn't think about it being the extension cord. We called pentair who said we can't use an extension cord. So when we plugged it directly into the outlet it worked. But it wont be able to clean my whole pool since there won't be enough cord. The lady told me extension cords must not be used and asked if I could have someone come out and put in an electrical outlet near the pool. What? Uh no. I told her there was no where to put it , it's just yard . I asked what others do? She said they all have outlets near their pool. I couldn't believe that no one else has had this issue. She told me no one has ever had my issue. So now because we are dumb, im sure there is a note on my file that we use an extension cord and if anything happens, they won't cover the warranty.

Do any of you use extension cords?

I just had to replace my previous Dolphin which was a good boy but passed away after almost 3 years. I came here and settled on a Pentair Prowler 920 through Marina pools, spa and patio. They were awesome btw!! So we have to use an extension cord. My pool is out in the yard( where it should be) and not right up next to my house where my outlet is. We used an extension cord in the past to make sure the control box was closer to the pool so my poor passed away Dolphin( his name was Wall-e) could clean my whole pool.

So our new one ( his name is Moe) stopped working. I just got Moe on 5/1. The control box wouldn't work. It flashed on and just turned off. Since we are dummies, we didn't think about it being the extension cord. We called pentair who said we can't use an extension cord. So when we plugged it directly into the outlet it worked. But it wont be able to clean my whole pool since there won't be enough cord. The lady told me extension cords must not be used and asked if I could have someone come out and put in an electrical outlet near the pool. What? Uh no. I told her there was no where to put it , it's just yard . I asked what others do? She said they all have outlets near their pool. I couldn't believe that no one else has had this issue. She told me no one has ever had my issue. So now because we are dumb, im sure there is a note on my file that we use an extension cord and if anything happens, they won't cover the warranty.

Do any of you use extension cords?
Used to use a 50 ft 10 gauge until I installed an outdoor outlet at my shed near the pool. I never understood why they just don’t recommend 10 gauge extension cords myself.

Reactions: MITBeta
We called pentair who said we can't use an extension cord.
That’s nuts. I have 2 outlets near my pool, but your cleaner would need a really long cord to reach them. Hopefully, a heavy gauge cord as recommended above will work. I’m happy to have my side pressure cleaner - 15 years old and still going strong!

S,

The idea that a robot can't run off of an extension cord is just silly. The robot's power supply has no clue if it is getting power from an outlet on the side of your house or an extension cord. You just can't use a cheap thin extension cord. Spend a couple of bucks and invest in a heavy-duty cord and don't make it any longer than it has to be. Use the shortest cord that will work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

The idea that a robot can't run off of an extension cord is just silly. The robot's power supply has no clue if it is getting power from an outlet on the side of your house or an extension cord. You just can't use a cheap thin extension cord. Spend a couple of bucks and invest in a heavy-duty cord and don't make it any longer than it has to be. Use the shortest cord that will work.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Seriously what’s the difference between 2/12 romex and a 12 gauge extension cord? I don’t understand the logic…

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Seriously what’s the difference between 2/12 romex and a 12 gauge extension cord? I don’t understand the logic…
Because if they ok a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord, people will use six 16 gauge cords to reach out there. If they say no cords whatsoever, they are covered when people do as they do.

@Orion7319

I think we are saying the same thing.. Did you take my post wrong?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Not at all, I am in complete agreement with you! We are saying the same thing, I was simply stating the same thing again in a more incredulous manner for emphasis!

Because if they ok a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord, people will use six 16 gauge cords to reach out there. If they say no cords whatsoever, they are covered when people do as they do.
Your probably right! Lol! Most people probably would do that….

Reactions: Newdude
@Orion7319

I think we are saying the same thing.. Did you take my post wrong?

Thanks,

Jim R.
My point is that most house outlets in modern construction are wired with 2/12 romex. You have to consider that a lot of runs inside the walls are going quite a distance from the breaker. A 12 gauge extension cord is the exact same gauge. I have heard stories from people I know though that have burned out the power supplies running these things on thinner gauge cords. That I don’t get because I thought the robots are only using 32v….

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The advice at that link is dangerously wrong:
backward.png
As the power requirement (wattage) increases, the wire must be thicker, which means the numeric gauge must DECREASE (e.g., 10 gauge is thicker than 12 gauge). The instructions at that site get it backward.

Last edited:
Wait a second. Pool Robots are NOT a big electirc draw. My first three google searches said they draw 180 watts. Who needs a 10 guage extension cord for 180 watts? I calculate 1.5 amps. (my Dolphin power supply says 2 amps.). So, isn't a 25 or 50 foot extension cord more than adequate?

I think I read somewhere that extension cord may be safety issue with wet exposed cords, and wet pool decks, and bare feet. And there is the safety issue of the Matronics Power supply being pulled in a pool with an extension cord.

Last edited:
The advice at that link is dangerously wrong:
As the power requirement (wattage) increases, the wire must be thicker, which means the numeric gauge must DECREASE (e.g., 10 gauge is thicker than 12 gauge). The instructions at that site get it backward.
So they do! Good catch!

Wait a second. Pool Robots are NOT a big electirc draw. My first two google searches said they draw 180 watts. Who needs a 10 guage extension cord for 180 watts? I calculate 1.5 amps. (my Dolphin power supply says 2 amps.). So, isn't a 25 or 50 foot extension cord more than adequate?

I think I read somewhere that extension cord may be safety issue with wet exposed cords, and wet pool decks, and bare feet.
I think the claim is it damages it somehow.

Wait a second. Pool Robots are NOT a big electirc draw. My first two google searches said they draw 180 watts. Who needs a 10 guage extension cord for 180 watts? I calculate 1.5 amps. (my Dolphin power supply says 2 amps.). So, isn't a 25 or 50 foot extension cord more than adequate?

I think I read somewhere that extension cord may be safety issue with wet exposed cords, and wet pool decks, and bare feet.
I was about to say the same thing. I have a smart plug and at most 120 watts

Do you have a volt meter to make sure your getting a good 110volts?

just don't see any basis for that claim. At least with a functional extension cord of reasonable guage, and reasonable length.
Therein lies the problem. All those thin indoor Christmas tree cords are not being used in the summer. If you plug 4 of them in together, it will reach. (Not OP, the average user)

Reactions: Orion7319
Yes, I think you are right. I just don't see any basis for that claim. At least with a functional extension cord of reasonable guage, and reasonable length.
The OP said that it wasn’t working when plugged into an extension cord, but would work when plugged directly in the wall. Which means either something really weird with these things and they are very sensitive to a drop in amperage or noise or something or the OP’s extension cord is bad. I have heard this same claim myself from Maytronics about using an extension cord, and the owner of the company that replaced my liner, told me he has seen several go bad unless you use a 12 gauge or thicker (10).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.