Curious what others do?

We aren't using an extension cord that you would use for Christmas trees. It's an outdoor one. My pool is good size . We have a fence and then a small cement walkway to our patio. The outlet is on the house. So the extension cord is only on the patio. That's enough to have the control box much closer to the pool but it is still outside our fence. I don't believe there is any danger of that extension cord hitting the water. My shed is all the way at the back of the yard. My yard is large. We live on an acre. I just couldn't believe this is what they were telling me and I was told by pentair rep that this has never been an issue.

We aren't using an extension cord that you would use for Christmas trees. It's an outdoor one
Yes I was talking about the general public and the idiotic things they do. :)
I just couldn't believe this is what they were telling me and I was told by pentair rep that this has never been an issue.
I think they saw some bad units from inadequate and/or defective extension cords and it's super easy for them to say 'never use one' to remove them from any liability.

The falling in risk is real as well. If the control unit was placed at the edge of the pool and the extension cord had slack as many do, it would only take a tug or someone tripping near it to have the unit/cord in the pool. With a 6ft cord on the unit, and the closest outlet being 6ft away per code, that can't happen if no extension cords are allowed.
Hmm it may have. We weren't sure why it died although it had started to act wonky with how it cleaned
I think we have officially raised enough eyebrow to replace the cord. Whether the elements got it, a squirrel, the Lawnmower, etc....... once you question its integrity, it's time for a new one.

I think we have officially raised enough eyebrow to replace the cord. Whether the elements got it, a squirrel, the Lawnmower, etc....... once you question its integrity, it's time for a new one.
I would replace it with a 12 gauge one. It makes no sense to me at all, but if there is anything at all to these things really needing to be plugged into an outlet to prevent failure, that should do it. Plus it’s always good to have a heavy duty outdoor extension cord around anyway.

Reactions: Newdude
The lady told me extension cords must not be used and asked if I could have someone come out and put in an electrical outlet near the pool. What? Uh no. I told her there was no where to put it , it's just yard . I asked what others do? She said they all have outlets near their pool. I couldn't believe that no one else has had this issue.
During our install last year the electricians installed a breaker for the pool equipment and ran a line to an outlet mounted on a short 4x4 buried in the ground. Was a little curious but didn't think much about it. Later when I wanted it moved to another location the contractor told me the outlet was required to be within 20' of the pool by code:
NEC Code

Doesn't help you of course but may help to explain the answer you got. And it suggests the point is to avoid the hazard of using extension cords altogether. Depending on how much you invested on your new bot you may want to ask electrical contractors for a quote. I don't think the outlet needs to be fancy as I mentioned the preliminary one I had was mounted on a wood post. If you decide to do this I recommend asking the contractor if they have worked with pools--seems there are numerous code provisions that apply.

Or find an extension cord that works as others suggest.

Or look into returning your bot and buying a battery operated one like this
Aiper Segagull 3000 - Anyone have experience with Aiper Brand Robots

RIP WALL-E!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
With a good quality extention cord and not those 50 foot cheap knock offs you should be golden. I have many that run on an extention cord without issues. 10 gauge in my book is way overkill.
A couple of years ago, the power supply on my dolphin nautilus cc+ went bad while under warranty. I called Maytronics and they sent me a replacement. During this call, they told me that using extension cords causes damage. That’s what their claim was, doesn’t make sense to me, maybe that particular rep just didn’t know what they were talking about. A 12 gauge extension cord should see no drop in amperage at 50 ft, a 10 gauge at 100ft. Overkill probably.

That’s what their claim was, doesn’t make sense to me, maybe that particular rep just didn’t know what they were talking about
The rep only knows what the computer screen tells them, or has told them in the past. I tell my customers all the time that I would never dream of telling the customer how to print a screenshot on the reps computer, yet they routinely tell the customer about my job. They mean well, but the rep is not an electrician.

Other company advice, for example, is to never use the robot above 4ppm FC, with no regard to the CYA level. Because water chemistry is also not their job.

People put way too much faith in people they can reach on the telephone or email, who have strict production goals to meet that save money for the company with less reps. Actually helping the customer is not one of those goals.

The rep only knows what the computer screen tells them, or has told them in the past. I tell my customers all the time that I would never dream of telling the customer how to print a screenshot on the reps computer, yet they routinely tell the customer about my job. They mean well, but the rep is not an electrician.

Other company advice, for example, is to never use the robot above 4ppm FC, with no regard to the CYA level. Because water chemistry is also not their job.

People put way too much faith in people they can reach on the telephone or email, who have strict production goals to meet that save money for the company with less reps. Actually helping the customer is not one of those goals.
I understand your argument, and in general I would agree with you. Have you seen Joyfulnoise posts about taking his apart. Maytronics also says don’t leave these things in the pool all the time. He found out why exactly they say that. No one has taken apart the power supplies on these things, they are sealed and most likely potted in resin so who knows what’s going on inside of them. Seems to me they must get hot especially out in the sun. My point is simply that if you use an appropriate extension cord it should be electrically the same as plugging it into an outlet. Rather or not that’s a thing anyone should worry about is a different matter, but apparently they might void the warranty if anyone uses any kind of extension cords… which I think is silly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, about extension cords...
I agree that a good 12 gauge cord should be approximately the equivalent of your house wiring (approximately because the cords use stranded and the wall wiring uses solid...stranded adds a little more resistance).

The other part of the equation (and more likely) is the grounding conductor.

Plug a receptacle tester into that cord and see if the ground terminal is working correctly.

I have a commercial Keurig coffee maker that will power up but will not brew if it doesn't have a connection on the ground lug. I'm sure this is for safety reasons. I found it out because I had it plugged into a power strip. It had nothing to do with the gauge of wire in the power strip, it had to do with the fact that someone had cut off the grounding prong of the power strip to plug it into an older 2-prong outlet.

I'd wager that this is what prevents the Maytronics control box from working.

Ok so apparently it gets weirder. It appears as though, if you have already purchased a robot, under no circumstances should you use an extension cord. However if you are thinking about purchasing a new robot but your only option is to use an extension cord, then buy all means you can use an extension cord! That is until you actually pay for and receive the robot, then at this time you are no longer allowed to use an extension cord. Mystery solved!
0D242AA8-313E-4B68-855E-E28ED801ADD6.png

Attachments

• D99996DE-1EB3-4DC9-88C0-03732EBCB784.png
    D99996DE-1EB3-4DC9-88C0-03732EBCB784.png
    402.4 KB · Views: 12
Sales people gonna sales people. And warranty people gonna warranty people.

*you on the phone with customer service*

'why yes, it was sunny last Tuesday. That voids my Warranty ???? Dang. Guess I'm out of luck. Maybe next time I'll buy the extended warranty so you guys have even longer to find ways out of it'

Ok so apparently it gets weirder. It appears as though, if you have already purchased a robot, under no circumstances should you use an extension cord. However if you are thinking about purchasing a new robot but your only option is to use an extension cord, then buy all means you can use an extension cord! That is until you actually pay for and receive the robot, then at this time you are no longer allowed to use an extension cord. Mystery solved!
View attachment 424203
Clear as mud ! 😂🤣😂🤣

Reactions: Orion7319
Sales people gonna sales people. And warranty people gonna warranty people.

*you on the phone with customer service*

'why yes, it was sunny last Tuesday. That voids my Warranty ???? Dang. Guess I'm out of luck. Maybe next time I'll buy the extended warranty so you guys have even longer to find ways out of it'
Lol! It reminds me of the “Peggy” commercials….

• Haha
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.