Crack in auto fill bucket - water constantly leaking into pool

DarkAugust

Mar 6, 2021
Tucson, AZ
There is a crack in the threads where the valve screws in. So even if I put a plug, water still flows around it through the threads. How would one go about replacing this threaded plastic piece? I'm guessing it's under a lot of tile and concrete. I was thinking about trying epoxy on the threads to see if it could seal the crack. What do you guys think?

IMG_0973.png

If you epoxy on the threads you will never get things apart again and when the autofill fails you will be replacing the entire skimmer.

Have you tried wrapping some Teflon tape around the threads?

How big is the crack?

Can you unscrew the valve and get a pic of the cracked threads?

@ajw22 Yes I've tried a ton of thread tape and pipe joint compound. Nothing stops the leak. It's a big enough leak that it will overfill my pool in a few days if I leave the water on.

My thought is that I can shape the epoxy to the threads by screwing the valve in and removing it quickly before the epoxy cures. Then hopefully the epoxy will coat the threads and the crack.

I will try to photograph it today but it's in a real tight spot in the side of that bucket.

@1poolman1 Ok so buy the world's longest lasting valve and then just epoxy that thing into the threads permanently? Haha.

I think @1poolman1 is saying that with tapered threads the crack will widen when the valve is threaded in and the epoxy will not fill the crack and stop the leak.

Then you will have a leaking valve fused to the skimmer.

What if I want to get to the pipe? What is under the tile next to the bucket?

Lift up the tile and find out. Probably dirt that you can dig down to expose the pipe.

@1poolman1 Ok so buy the world's longest lasting valve and then just epoxy that thing into the threads permanently? Haha.

What if I want to get to the pipe? What is under the tile next to the bucket?
There should be just a pipe from your manual fill valve going to the side of the auto-fill and that fitting. I don't think it is replaceable. If you can get one to stay on it, a small worm-drive hose clamp might be able to keep the crack closed enough to seal. Be sure to get one with a stainless steel screw as well as the strap being stainless. I've ween that work on some lower pressure fittings. May want to turn the manual valve down a bit as well.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.