Morganville, NJ
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey all,

New homeowner, first season going to close the pool. Previous homeowners left the pool uncovered, and it was a pain getting the pool in swim condition (although I think that was due to more years of neglect/non-use)

I know no one really wants to talk closing the pool now, but trying to get bearings right for when it comes time, and I have a few questions on covers/use:
  • Are covers worth it? I don't have many trees nearby, and installed a fence as well that is around the pool, so that should prevent a lot of debris blown in by wind
  • Are safety covers worth the investment/easier to use yearly, or just opt for tarp with water bags?
    • If safety cover is the way to go, I see there are various ones, including a full mesh, some with partial mesh in the center, and others that are fully closed. Is one better than the other?
    • Easy to self install, or is it worth just having a pool company come by and do it?
    • If I plan on replacing the patio around the pool in the next 1-5 years, should I wait for a cover until then, or can just redrill holes for cover when needed?

I appreciate any guidance!

I can't comment since I have NO idea where "Morganville" is. Please give us more of a hint....? That may help determine your pool cover needs.

Until I know your locale I'll give you a closing tip! :kim:
Rule of Thumb for Closing--> "Open Early, Close Late". This means you open up before the pool water hits 60 degrees and you'll have time to get the water chemistry in shape before the water is warm enough for algae to get busy. Closing late is an assumption that you'll care for your pool up until the day you close. So you'll close when the pool water is less than 60, and hopefully in good shape. This improves your odds of opening the following year to a clean, clear pool!

Reactions: Shruggs85
There are a number of conversations on pool covers. Do a little searching and you will find many opinions. Mesh covers allow the snow/rain/small debris to get in the pool. Open early and this is probably not a problem although you will have some organics in the water. They also let light in so if you wait too long algae can get a head start. Mesh covers are lighter and easier to handle.

Solid covers keep everything out. They also need a pump to keep the water level on the cover under control. They are heavy. I can close and remove mine but it's way easier with two people.

I have had both mesh and solid covers over a 20 year span. I prefer the solid because I open late. No light and very little debris lets me get away with opening to warmer water that is still clear.

This is our first year with an auto cover. Really expensive, really nice not to struggle with a heavy winter cover and/or a solar cover. I've never used a tarp with bags. We have too much wind for me to trust that approach. I also liked the security of a spring loaded heavy cover.

I have a 'solid cover'. You can hold it up and not be able to see anything through it. But it is still a mesh cover, just much tighter weaving. The bigger the weaving, the more gets through it like sand and dirt. Water gets through mine once it becomes saturated, and very fine particles go through also. In the spring i usually have a half inch of grey sludge on the bottom. It prompty vaccuums up and the water is blue as can be. Both myself and a neighbor fell onto it one year while folding up my solar cover on top of the loop lock. It held us both without problem. I wasnt worried so much about people going through the tarp cover as i was about animals. We have alot of raccoons and deer around. I met 2 random people who had animal damage over the winter shortly before building the pool. If you currently have a stone patio, it will be labor intensive to install. I had my PB do it at the end of the 1st season and when he broke 3 bricks drilling, he bought and installed new ones. You can probably work the redrilling of holes into the price of the new patio. Patios are very expensive and a few extra hundred wont be that noticeable.

I can't comment since I have NO idea where "Morganville" is. Please give us more of a hint....? That may help determine your pool cover needs.

Until I know your locale I'll give you a closing tip! :kim:
Rule of Thumb for Closing--> "Open Early, Close Late". This means you open up before the pool water hits 60 degrees and you'll have time to get the water chemistry in shape before the water is warm enough for algae to get busy. Closing late is an assumption that you'll care for your pool up until the day you close. So you'll close when the pool water is less than 60, and hopefully in good shape. This improves your odds of opening the following year to a clean, clear pool!

Thanks! Morganville is Central New Jersey. I understand open early close late and plan to get as much use of the pool as I can!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.