Auto cover vs buying winter safety cover

Lynn5707

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hello,
We are planning on closing our pool mid-October and have used our autocover the past two winters. I have seen these safety covers on Amazon and have thought of getting one to save wear on the auto cover. Has anyone used any of these covers? They seem much cheaper than other places online and don’t want to throw money away if they aren’t worth it. We stil have anchors from an older cover we used to have so maybe they would fit a new cover. Here are a couple of the covers I have looked at.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

A Looploc would run you $4k for their version. Not sure why this is so cheap I can only surmise it is made cheaply in China and/or is being sold below cost (dumping).

Reactions: Lynn5707
For a Loop-loc (and other name brands) you are also paying for someone to measure and install the cover. Loop-loc (and other name brands) also have a well established warranty and service channels. The amazon ones, it may be a challenge to if there are issues during the warranty period. Loop-loc (and other name brands) you can be assured you are going to get a quality cover that is fit to your pool. I am guessing the replacement cover on the auto cover is in the loop-lock price range. Unless the cost of a replacement auto cover is extreme, i would say use it and spend your time and money making sure it's taken care of. If the autocover is not meant for winter use, then another cover that is would be a better way to go. I am installing a Yardguard Block99 safety cover on my 20x40 pool this week, it was $1600. Made in the USA. I'm hoping it lasts, seems like it's a good quality, time will tell.

For a Loop-loc (and other name brands) you are also paying for someone to measure and install the cover. Loop-loc (and other name brands) also have a well established warranty and service channels. The amazon ones, it may be a challenge to if there are issues during the warranty period. Loop-loc (and other name brands) you can be assured you are going to get a quality cover that is fit to your pool. I am guessing the replacement cover on the auto cover is in the loop-lock price range. Unless the cost of a replacement auto cover is extreme, i would say use it and spend your time and money making sure it's taken care of. If the autocover is not meant for winter use, then another cover that is would be a better way to go. I am installing a Yardguard Block99 safety cover on my 20x40 pool this week, it was $1600. Made in the USA. I'm hoping it lasts, seems like it's a good quality, time will tell.
Sorry to duplicate my posts, but wasn’t sure you would see my questions. Did you measure yourself? Did you order it online?

I measured myself, I have a simple 20 x 40 pool with exterior steps. My steps are smaller than 4 x 8, they are roughly 4 x 4. I could have had a custom cover made for a few buck more, but decided to go with a standard cover for time reasons. I will just add some padding between the steps and cover to limit any were on the cover from the coping (where two of the straps rest on the coping the wear strip does not line up). I could have ordered online, but ordered over the phone. I was calling to ask a few questions to make sure what I was getting everything and what the materials of the anchors were. While on the call I ordered. I could have done it online too.

I measured myself, I have a simple 20 x 40 pool with exterior steps. My steps are smaller than 4 x 8, they are roughly 4 x 4. I could have had a custom cover made for a few buck more, but decided to go with a standard cover for time reasons. I will just add some padding between the steps and cover to limit any were on the cover from the coping (where two of the straps rest on the coping the wear strip does not line up). I could have ordered online, but ordered over the phone. I was calling to ask a few questions to make sure what I was getting everything and what the materials of the anchors were. While on the call I ordered. I could have done it online too.
Thank you!

Still installing the anchors.
AIL4fc8c-GQePIWynm81m4bOn4ZqsKyHhIdZNAsjiC5dkiXmtcPglyarUWWaUpWkRaU42NkH5-i1v_OrsYQoG3xUujL1uJD3-kL2BTfDlpK1mNDNS5TNqXM6TCXA0taOY2T_db_0LQHLOSoI7WfC7MIs0O3Jh35fFVlTml-16G9NRRLl1-CAYhnJG5uQiE8ApTH1hfO5Wzhu8zp6Tswt67pkJGAvpzc_NjQ_qNsBMjLzJXdoRPv4MutAEhIx8i0GoPW8sm-6Ly0H88cmkTYDCs6givFlc26NPXdaSqNWazyqxR870NqxLkFAV-UpjnREMAq1S97m9Ik5UfC0OJRjl7CvSJETY7g3m1VdogCudwXuRdY0Ykeymwo5Wb0q_v9icy5Vnd_1w8G_3xut_0H2cmgUsQuprjA4IBAcDyF0v3I3973t0HJ_abHDrRmzSDIcceLm_BUtYmg5FviYYsOZm5Kmp9_ZG3Q3hVJKPFQvmzMmlag0wqsPB4LXDKbMxVyVMjbr4pTF9rtCPLuYWjXKii-SwObLr1AuIhGB_PtvC-gdmO7SeRFacOmEADKHmz3KeEKJMReODpem2AFSgLxQEmi1A21TysQK4gZ3BPCumg-fkQKfv4j_3REj50DIBBo2JRhZHn2PA_qzpWph8yOliODIWMl0dqv7SBpCGe64f4yQxtKtcLUoolfeehctzAyrNigCTGZ2DSWRz4NL63hBloarm4GuyTXY6OAbTDi6admLFB3bFw3FuBK9xDn3ug5aeCfrS_fcvRZiexpfyo_5VlQ_llHxgg7kIL4d0aplmkJnhg1vjlUgcvq4B_Vds48OSoe-UnAx4xZ8dAKu455qwrMZdbIHxc_coOVEQH5BtF2ilfxVNBI_w7ozgxdh1O8YVIfFbBh6NS-G8GrKnm0KoEyCKfGUync=w1602-h901-s-no

Reactions: Lynn5707

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.