Corroded Heater - Looking for Advice

Nealkaiser

Jun 12, 2020
Lynn, MA
Hi, I'm located in MA, near the ocean, and my heater looks like it's a major fire hazard. I have this model:

P-M406A-EN-C​

There are a few issues that I can see:
1) The copper gas pipe is corroding. I don’t think it’s leaking, but it doesn’t look safe.
2) The enter base of the heater is so corroded that it’s essentially disintegrated. Perhaps I could get a piece of steel cut to the dimensions and lay it down there?
3) When I turned it on (it is now shut off) the flame came out of the underside and hit where the corroded pipe is in the first photo. Near where those 2 electrical wires are. I didn’t keep it on long enough to investigate, but I suspect the burner has corroded in a similar fashion.

The heater is about 10 years old. Is this amount of corrosion typical? Looking at the site above, a replacement burner tray (if that's what I need is $1500!). Does it make sense to repair this or is there newer technology/better options that would be comparable in price?

I'm not even sure who can help me w/ something like this. It's hard finding pool equipment people here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• corroded_bottom.jpg
    corroded_bottom.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 20
  • gas_fitting.jpg
    gas_fitting.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 20
10 years is a decent life for those Raypak natural draft heaters. They begin rusting from the bottom almost as soon as they are installed.

You should look at replacing it with a sealed burner, forced draft heater. Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, and now Raypak with their new Avia line of gas heaters has moved to that design.

When you replace the heater you should replace the corroded gas line.

10 years is a decent life for those Raypak natural draft heaters. They begin rusting from the bottom almost as soon as they are installed.

You should look at replacing it with a sealed burner, forced draft heater. Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, and now Raypak with their new Avia line of gas heaters has moved to that design.

When you replace the heater you should replace the corroded gas line.

Thanks for the info, that is helpful! Any particular models that you recommend?
Would an electrician and plumber typically be able to install something like this? Perhaps I can just order online and bypass the pool equipment guys that are backlogged.
Thanks.

Yes buy one online, have it shipped, place it where you need it. Have a plumber do the gas and PVC plumbing. You can wire it yourself. Disconnect the old one, then reconnect the new one. Take a picture of the wiring before you disconnect the old one. You will be doing monkey see monkey do on the wiring which will only be 3 wires for 240v, or 4 wires for 120v. Even if you have never wired a heater before it will only take you 10mins.

If you replace the old Raypack with another raypack, the length of the wire/whip will not be an issue. If you go with a Pentair master temp remember the hookup for the wire is on the other side. I really like master temp heaters, and the newer haywards. Stay away from Jandy. And I Hate Raypack.

What other equipment do you have?

You have automation?

Look at the Pentair MasterTemp 400 heater.

Raypak Avia has some built in automation if that is of benefit yo you.

Get whatever heater has good service local to you.

Reactions: Nealkaiser
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.