Correct wiring for Jandy ePump

flyboy320

Jul 23, 2009
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I am replacing my Jandy Stealth single speed pump with a new to me Jandy ePump (JEP 1.5). https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0311700.pdf

The manual doesn't say how to wire the 2 hots wires L1 & L2 (I do have the green wire to ground on the pump) but there is a label on the side of the pump that says L2-red & L1-black. If I follow this direction, how do I know the red & black wire in the outlet I'll be plugging this into has the same standard, or does it not really matter, ie., you can swap the red & black wire connectors? If it does matter, how do I test which wire in the outlet should be the red one and which one should be the black one?

Flyboy,

The hot wires going to L1 and L2 are interchangeable... Does not matter which is which.

"Technically" the proper way to test for 240 volts is to test between the two hot leads L1 to L2..

Testing to ground can sometime provide you with a false reading, when the wiring is connected to the pump. It is possible for one phase (either L1 or L2) to be missing and the voltage from each wire to ground will still read 120 volts, due to the pump being in the circuit.

In most cases, it does not matter, but it is not a good habit, when testing for 240 volts, to test to ground. It is always best to test between L1 and L2.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: flyboy320
Flyboy,

The hot wires going to L1 and L2 are interchangeable... Does not matter which is which.

"Technically" the proper way to test for 240 volts is to test between the two hot leads L1 to L2..

Testing to ground can sometime provide you with a false reading, when the wiring is connected to the pump. It is possible for one phase (either L1 or L2) to be missing and the voltage from each wire to ground will still read 120 volts, due to the pump being in the circuit.

In most cases, it does not matter, but it is not a good habit, when testing for 240 volts, to test to ground. It is always best to test between L1 and L2.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Agree but my testing was for the outlet prior to connecting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.