Correct wiring for Circupool SJ55

Jun 6, 2010
Garland, TX
So I have everything plumbed in and just need to run the electrical from my Intermatic to the SWG control panel.

Electrical is not my thing. Im not sure what is my thing, but electrical is definitely NOT my thing.

Ive taken a pic of the Intermatic box, and I think its fairly straight forward. The Intermatic timer box is wired to my breaker box and the breaker box has two 30amp breakers assigned. I guess one for the pool motor and one for the pool light?

Outside in addition to the pool motor (the motor is a Sta-Rite 1 1/2 horse non-variable speed wired 115V 60Hz) I have a 120V wall plug/motor on/off switch.

So heres a pic
20180507_101733.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Im not sure (dont know really) why there are two line/load configurations. My pool pump most definitely runs or doesnt according to the Intermatic timer but what else is wired to come on and off from the Intermatic timer is a mystery to me. I only have one pool pump, I dont have a separate pump for the pool sweep

I would think this is fairly straight forward. Ive tested the voltage at (counting from left where wires are attached #1 Line, #2 Load, #3 Line, #4 Load) and with the timer off #1 Line shows 120V and #3 Line shows 120V, while both Load leads show no current. With the timer running there is a current at #1, #2, #3, and #4 (as it should be)

So I suppose connect the Circupool (I have already changed the jumpers in the Circupool to make it 120V compatible) to one or the other Line/Load pairs and see that it works in concert with the pump?

Any help is appreciated. I dont know what I'd do without this forum and the help of kind strangers!

Are the two 30 amp breakers in the breaker box connected with a bar - so if you shut one off, the other shuts off too? If so, that is a double pole breaker supplying 220v.

Be sure of exactly what you have before wiring anything up. Or call a qualified electrician to do the work.

If in fact you have 220v - set the SWG for 220v and connect one hot lead to #2 and the other hot lead to #4. This will power the SWG only when the timer is scheduled to be on.

Line side (#1 and #3) are from the breaker. Load side (#2 and #4) connect to the equipment you want to operate via the timer.

Where does the wiring hole at the rear of thetimer box lead to?
Where does the conduit running vertically up from the box with the pool light and pool pump lead to?

Again - if you are unsure, concact an electrican - better safe than sorry!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Very thoughtful, and I appreciate it. I ended up calling an electrician. Supposed to be here today.

I was wondering about the Circupool control unit and the fact that it only gets power when the pump is running. So how does it maintain preferences? Its a very simple unit, only an on/off toggle and a percentage preference, but how does it maintain the percentage preference after it powers down? It seems to me that each time it powers up once the timer trips and the pool pump turns on the SWG control unit would behave as set at the factory as there is no current running to the unit to maintain preferences when the pump isnt running.
I guess all SWG units run this way?

Not sure how the SJ-55 keep the percentage set (maybe a backup battery??). Maybe call discountsaltpools and ask them. Post here when you find out - I'm sure others would like to know as well.

I called them. Jason answered. I asked and he said semi-confidently "I think there's a battery in there". I asked what kind of battery? I said I had never seen any reference to it, he said it was built in and wasnt replaceable.

Well, alright then.

Thanks for the update rocks!

Maybe it's like the elusive battery in my desktop computer that keeps the time (among other things). It's there and usually difficult to get to. Maybe someone with a unit that is out of warranty and has totally failed would be willing to open their controller and see.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.