jrpharis

Aug 19, 2022
Rushville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been reading up on pool chemistry and the recommended ranges and the Total Alkalinity range seems all over the place. This site recommends 50-90 ppm (the lowest by far I've seen on any site), most recommend 80-120 ppm, another prominent resource for pools recommends 100-150 ppm, and the bottle of test strips I have recommends 120-180 ppm. I had my water tested at a pool supply store once and they said TA was at 185 ppm and was incredibly high (it turned out their method of using a computer to read test strips was not very accurate and it was actually 120 ppm from another store that did the liquid/reagent testing). So, how can I know what my TA should be when many seemingly reliable sources vary quite a bit?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The first place you should start is you wish to take control of your water is our Pool Care Basics page. At the same time, ensure you have your own (proper) test kit - either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Pool store testing and advice is often flawed, and their products not much better.

Having said that, TFP developed the FC/CYA Levels and Recommended Levels page based on thousands of pool types, scenarios, types of equipment, and method of chlorination. Data has been validated by years of use and science. You won't find a more thorough network of data.

Once example as to why the TFP recommended TA level varies from others is because we take into account the method of chlorination. Pool store assume you will use tablets which are acidic and pull the pH & TA down. We discourage long-term use of tabs due to elevated CYA levels. That's' just one example. Stick around here long enough and you'll see how/why TFP is the best resource for water management.

Reactions: HermanTX
Welcome to TFP! One thing I keep in my mind for managing my pool, besides testing my pool water myself, is recognizing that total alkalinity is but one parameter to keep my eye on. pH is just as important, along with free chlorine, cyanuric acid and since I have a quartz pool finish, I also manage my calcium hardness.

I have to top my pool up with fresh water due to evaporation here in Las Vegas, so I test my fill water to know what I’m adding. My fill water has pH 7.4 but TA 140. So, my TA will constantly pull pH up to higher levels then I add muriatic acid to lower pH and over the swim season my TA has dropped to 90.

The pool care basics, linked in the previous post, is step one to managing your pool for a trouble free pool experience.

My fill water TA 350. About once a week I add MA to bring pH down which has gradually brought my TA down to 150 even though I do a refill about once a week also due the intense heat & sun we have lol. Your TA will come down as you manage your pH.

Welcome to TFP! One thing I keep in my mind for managing my pool, besides testing my pool water myself, is recognizing that total alkalinity is but one parameter to keep my eye on. pH is just as important, along with free chlorine, cyanuric acid and since I have a quartz pool finish, I also manage my calcium hardness.

I have to top my pool up with fresh water due to evaporation here in Las Vegas, so I test my fill water to know what I’m adding. My fill water has pH 7.4 but TA 140. So, my TA will constantly pull pH up to higher levels then I add muriatic acid to lower pH and over the swim season my TA has dropped to 90.

The pool care basics, linked in the previous post, is step one to managing your pool for a trouble free pool experience.
Hello, thanks for the response. I understand I have to keep an eye on several chemical levels, which I do. My only question was how to know what a good range of TA is when there are so many reputable sources that have ranges all over the place.

My fill water TA 350. About once a week I add MA to bring pH down which has gradually brought my TA down to 150 even though I do a refill about once a week also due the intense heat & sun we have lol. Your TA will come down as you manage your pH.
Hello, thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm not worried about my TA being high, I already have that under control and down to about 110. My question was how to know what a good range of TA is when there are so many reputable sources that have ranges all over the place.

Hello, thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm not worried about my TA being high, I already have that under control and down to about 110. My question was how to know what a good range of TA is when there are so many reputable sources that have ranges all over the place.
Please read post #2. That explains why TFP recommends a lower TA level.

You can also read

Your pH will find it’s own happy spot even if out of the range but if you want guidance, stick to TFP’s range since your are following their procedures. Other sites are using other stuff.

My only question was how to know what a good range of TA is when there are so many reputable sources that have ranges all over the place
If you are going to subscribe to the TFP methods, then the TFP range is the good one. It really is that simple. All other "reputable" sources, methods, or ranges are really irrelevant.

If you want to follow the other "reputable" sources for their TA range, then that's a different direction. I guess I would go question these other reputable sources why their TA ranges are all over the place. The TFP range is not all over the place at all, and I can't explain it any better than @Texas Splash did in post #2

Reactions: HermanTX
If you are going to subscribe to the TFP methods, then the TFP range is the good one. It really is that simple. All other "reputable" sources, methods, or ranges are really irrelevant.

If you want to follow the other "reputable" sources for their TA range, then that's a different direction. I guess I would go question these other reputable sources why their TA ranges are all over the place. The TFP range is not all over the place at all, and I can't explain it any better than @Texas Splash did in post #2
I wouldn't say I've subscribed to any certain method, I'm reading numerous websites to understand as much as I can. Other reputable sources are definitely not irrelevant while trying to understand my pool's chemistry. TFP is not the only credible source.

I never said any one of the other reputable sources is all over the place, I'm saying looking at many sources, each source has a different recommended range. Most them are actually fairly close, in the 80-120 range, TFP is the only one as low as 50-90 ppm. Each of the sources I've looked at is consistent within it's own documentation, but each one is different than all the rest, TFP included.

Yes, @Texas Splash did have a good explanation. I responded back to the other two comments because they missed the question I was actually asking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have any other questions about TFP's recommended levels, feel free to post back and ask. We're happy to break it down for you. There is always a very clear reason why our numbers are different. It may be a chemical reaction, the type of equipment, type of pool, or even the region you live in, but we can explain it. Many pool stores, manufactures, and installers simply cannot say the same, and instead repeat the same generic decades-old levels as the "go-to" answer. They do that with some very basic assumptions about every pool and pool owners. I'm confident TFP has a very good answer to any of your pool & water care questions. Just let us know. Thanks for posting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.