Copper BB stain

Welcome to the forum!
Copper is the toughest stain to remove.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

What color are the stains?

Maybe sulfamic acid in a cloth to spot treat would work.

Put the sulfamic acid in a cotton cloth and drop it on a spot for a few seconds to see if it removes the stain.

Jack's #2 copper and scale stuff is sulfamic acid.

The stains are almost surely not copper. Copper BB's went out a long time ago.......I would bet you have irons stains. Crush up some cheap vitamin C tablets in an old sock and weight it down on the stains for 5 minutes. If it's iron, they will be reduced or vanished.

Copper stains are typically VERY dark blue or black.

Reactions: JamesW
Ok, iron makes more sense.

The brown/red color matches iron, not copper. Copper will be turquoise or black.

Ascorbic acid should work when applied directly.

BBs look like copper, but are usually steel with a copper coating. To confirm, see if the BBs stick to a magnet.

Copper does not oxidize easily and typically won't stain from having a copper item sit in contact with the floor for short periods of time under normal conditions.

Lots of brushing should help.

Last edited:
The stains are almost surely not copper. Copper BB's went out a long time ago......
While I agree that the red hue does not typically indicate copper, copper plated BBs are quite common:

Search Results

I think I've even seen those Crosman Copperhead BBs in local stores like Walmart.

After removing dark gray stains from my pool with Metal Magic and then testing the remaining tan stains with a Jack's test kit, I'm pretty sure that my tan stains are copper--probably from years of copper trichlor misuse by the previous owner. :(

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.