Mike Landis

Jun 1, 2019
Bonsall, CA 92003
New in ground in CA - they just installed water line tile and when viewing result it's obvious that the coping tile overhang varies from 1/2" to 2"+ at various spots around the perimeter. It's a freeform pool with travertine coping which has been cut to match the pool shape. Unfortunately the overhang is not consistent nor is the coping edge particularly attractive due to the many pie shaped pieces comprising the final coping install (see pix). Meeting with pool contractor next week and I'm wondering if the overhang variation is typical in a quality pool build? Some variation on inside edge of coping is to be expected but how much roughness should be acceptable?

Attachments

• Coping & Water line 1.jpg
    Coping & Water line 1.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Coping & Water line 2.jpg
    Coping & Water line 2.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Coping & Water line 3.jpg
    Coping & Water line 3.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Coping & Water line 4.jpg
    Coping & Water line 4.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20190511_155000307_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190511_155000307_HDR.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 143
  • Pool Overview.jpg
    Pool Overview.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 144
Welcome to TFP.

I would think any rough edges can be ground smooth. Although sometimes the fix ends up looking worse than the problem started.

It does not look like you had Italian stonework quality craftsmen. But I think fitting those compound curves is challenging. I don’t think it is bad enough to insist on ripping it out and doing it over. This is probably the best that crew can do. I doubt anyone enjoying your pool will notice the difference in the overhang.

See what the PB says.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.