Converting to SWG

RyanWendell

Mar 14, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Hey all!

I’m thinking about converting to a SWG but have a few questions.

1. Price to convert? On average what can I expect?

2. I have a heater. How does that play in?

3. I’m sure it will but I’m curious if SWG will help with having to add chlorine every day. Currently with liquid chlorine I’m adding chlorine sometimes even multiple times a day just to keep it in line. SLAMing is Dang near impossible to keep it as high as it needs.

Ryan,

The whole point of having a SWCG is so that it adds chlorine every day so you don't have to..

Here is a chart that might give you some ideas on pricing.. The initial cost is what keeps more people from converting.. Just think of it as buying 5 years of chlorine all at the same time.

Your heater does not care..

I have three saltwater pools and have never had algae in 7 years and have never used any bags of "shock".. Just do it!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

The price to convert is whatever the price of the device is (installation if you don't do it yourself), and some salt. A salt test kit too. I'd say easiily about $1500? You want to buy one that is at least 2x the size of your pool. This allows you to use it lightly and help extend its lifespan.

Salt water chlorinators have no alteration to heaters.

You set up the salt water generator to run with your pump. Then you tweak it to add chlorine throughout the day when your pump is running.

You will need higher level of CYA.

If you're having problems now.... are you sure you don't have a nascent algae outbreak going on?? Can you give us a full set of test results?

Maddie :flower:

The price to convert is whatever the price of the device is (installation if you don't do it yourself), and some salt. A salt test kit too. I'd say easiily about $1500? You want to buy one that is at least 2x the size of your pool. This allows you to use it lightly and help extend its lifespan.

Salt water chlorinators have no alteration to heaters.

You set up the salt water generator to run with your pump. Then you tweak it to add chlorine throughout the day when your pump is running.

You will need higher level of CYA.

If you're having problems now.... are you sure you don't have a nascent algae outbreak going on?? Can you give us a full set of test results?

Maddie :flower:
TA:140
FC:6.5
CC:0.5
PH: looks high. Around 8.2 maybe darker on the bluebox k-1000
CYA: 40
CH: 250

If you install a SWCG you are going to want to control your TA and pH much better. You will have scale problems based on the test you just posted.

Ryan,

You need to get your TA down to somewhere between 50 and 80 and that will help keep your pH as little more stable..

See this link... Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

This method works, but it not a one time deal.. You have to keep doing it, over and over every few hours to make it work well.. It takes me about two days to lower my TA from 120 to 60... I shoot for a TA of 50 and it bounces back to 60 next day and then slowly increases over time..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ryan,

The whole point of having a SWCG is so that it adds chlorine every day so you don't have to..

Here is a chart that might give you some ideas on pricing.. The initial cost is what keeps more people from converting.. Just think of it as buying 5 years of chlorine all at the same time.

Your heater does not care..

I have three saltwater pools and have never had algae in 7 years and have never used any bags of "shock".. Just do it!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

After MUCH thought I think I am leaning towards CircuPool RJ-(?) PLUS or the CircuPool Edge.

I like all the neat features the RJ-xx PLUS model has but am not sure how necessary they are. DiscountSaltPool is having a promotion for the EDGE series. I'm still trying to figure out if I will need to vertical mount it or not.

Any recommendations? The pool is roughly 10k gallons. I don't want to go too crazy but I also would love it to last as long as possible. Also unsure how much Chlorine Output I need.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ryan,

To upgrade to a saltwater pool you need three things.

The SWCG and their installation instructions.
The salt required to get to the recommend salinity
A Taylor K-1766 salt test kit... You need the salt test kit to initial test the water to see how much salt is there already. (Unless this is a fresh fill).. You also never want to trust the salinity that the cell reports.. It is always best to be able to compare, what the cell reports with the actual salt level measured by the Taylor K-1766...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: RyanWendell
Ryan,

To upgrade to a saltwater pool you need three things.

The SWCG and their installation instructions.
The salt required to get to the recommend salinity
A Taylor K-1766 salt test kit... You need the salt test kit to initial test the water to see how much salt is there already. (Unless this is a fresh fill).. You also never want to trust the salinity that the cell reports.. It is always best to be able to compare, what the cell reports with the actual salt level measured by the Taylor K-1766...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sounds good. Any recommend or things I should consider between the CircuPool versions?

Ryan,

Not really... they have a couple of new lines out, the Edge being one of them..

We have a lot of members that have reported good results with the RJ series, but the Edge is new.. We are all sitting here waiting for you to be the Guinea pig and let us know how the Edge works... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Soooo Update. I went with the RJ-30 PLUS.

Just had some questions regarding the actual install. I want to make sure my plan will work.

I tried to use the arrows to show the direction of water flow as best as I could figure it out. The yellow circle is where I think would be best to install the SWCG.

The problem is the circled area I think is before the heater? Maybe you all would have an idea.

Thanks!

Update: So after much testing I think the only way I will be able to install is pretty much directly from the heater's return line. No other space after the heater to easily install it. First picture with the question mark.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.