Converting to SWG, current levels -- any advice on order to tackle?

jslitwiller

Bronze Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Someone's been busy! :) There are about 4 things you could do immediately to help your situation:
1 - Increase FC right away to avoid algae. Regular bleach ASAP. It's way too low (SWG or not). Get it up to about 5-6 at least.
2 - Increase your salt per the SWG manual. I'm guessing somewhere around 2800-3000, but check your product info to make sure
3 - Increase your CYA to at least 70. You can get the sock soaking right away.
4 - Lower the pH ASAP too. Bring it down to the mid-7 with muriatic acid.

Besides spacing-out the bleach and muriatic acid dosage by a few minutes, you can do everything else at the same time. Hope that helps.

js,

1. Get your salt level up to whatever your cell needs...

2. Get your FC up to 5 ppm by adding liquid chlorine or plain bleach...

3. Wait 24 hours after adding salt... (with pump running)

4. Turn on SWCG...

5. Increase your CYA to 70 or 80..

6. Enjoy your new saltwater pool...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Here is a delayed update (I tested the water this morning...) Yesterday morning I added the salt, and yesterday evening I added bleach, muriatic acid, and CYA.

FC 5
CC .5
pH 7.2
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 60
Salt 3600
Temp 84

I turned the cell on, and am excited to get it dialed in! Anything else I should consider? I have read all about the suggested levels and transitioning to a SWG pool; and can see that my TA should be a little lower (although I did not do anything to address this so far and it went down overnight?), and that my CYA could be higher.

Those numbers look much better. :goodjob: Hopefully your water clarity reflects that as well. I wouldn't do anything else right now but monitor the FC to ensure it stays in that good range on the Chlorine/CYA Chart, and possibly check the CYA in another couple days to see if it stays at 60 or makes it to 70. 70 is ideal and will probably be needed once the AZ sun kicks into high gear. Great work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.