Converting Stairs to Sun Deck for Rectangular Pool

Mar 10, 2013
Does anyone have any experience in regards to around how much it costs to convert stairs to a sun deck in a rectangular inground pool that's about 11 ft wide?

Attachments

• 20190209_075510.jpg
    20190209_075510.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 26
It is next to impossible for us to tell how much it will cost for you to have this done as each area differs greatly. Some bigger towns even differ from one side to the other :(
What we suggest you do is get as many quotes as you can. Try to get at least 5 quotes. Share the info here and we will look it over to see if there is one that is better than the others. I am also going to ask @ajw22 to pop in and give his input.

Kim:kim:

This a plaster pool? I see a return jet in a step.

What depth do you want the sun deck? What size is the pool? What size do you want the sun deck? How are swimmers going to get into the pool?

How will the changes impact the skimmer and returns of the pool? What plumbing changes need to be made?

Questions to be answered and design decisions made before you can get to a cost. My guess is it is a major renovation of the pool with new plaster. Not cheap.

This a plaster pool? I see a return jet in a step.

What depth do you want the sun deck? What size is the pool? What size do you want the sun deck? How are swimmers going to get into the pool?

How will the changes impact the skimmer and returns of the pool? What plumbing changes need to be made?

Questions to be answered and design decisions made before you can get to a cost. My guess is it is a major renovation of the pool with new plaster. Not cheap.
Well that's no fun :(. Pool is 26ft long by 11 feet wide. Diamondbrite plaster. Pool is very shallow to begin with, I could always leave room on both side for stair entry and make the sun shade maybe 6 ft. then again that way would probably look silly.

You could leave the side closest to the house as steps. Leave the top step all the way acrss to aide in getting on and off the shelf to the decking. Then your shelf will be a little deeper. Bring it out to the last step. How long would that be?

What do you see happening on that shelf? Loungers? Chairs? Dog play? Sitting on your bottom and cooling off?

It will not be cheap. One thing you can do is have the "new" part of the pool plastered using a "beachy" color aka sand color. That way maybe you will only have to plaster that part.

One thing you can do is have the "new" part of the pool plastered using a "beachy" color aka sand color. That way maybe you will only have to plaster that part.

You are going to pay for a day of work by the plaster crew either way. Not going to be a big difference in price to plaster partial versus all.

Reactions: kimkats
Estimates are free!!!

John

Errr, no they are built into the price you pay.

I expect responses from PBs to be slow and prices high, especially if they are busy. @poolrookie22 has not put a location in. I will be suprised if more then 2 or 3 bids can be obtained. The first qualifier will be if a PB is willing to do the work? Then is the price reasonable?

Not sure where you are, here in Houston you charge to come out and chat and you soon find yourself looking for jobs.

FYI if you do not use said contractor/PB no way you are paying for them to estimate a job!!!

John

Not sure where you are, here in Houston you charge to come out and chat and you soon find yourself looking for jobs.

FYI if you do not use said contractor/PB no way you are paying for them to estimate a job!!!

John

You miss my point. Whatever PB you pay, you will be paying for part of all those “free” estimates he has done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you are looking for something like what I have. I love my setup and highly suggest something similar. I don't think this will be too difficult to shoot depending if the builder is able to integrate the new work into the existing without having to replaster everything. Water will have to be removed of course. Totally off the top of my head I am thinking $5k-$10k. I think now would be a good time to do a complete replaster if that has ever been considered. If you integrate this with a replaster I don't think the total job will be much more than the replaster alone.

ps.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.