Converting inoperative pool to SWG

dbecerra13

Jun 26, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
We are in the process of purchasing a house with a pool and just had the pool inspection completed. The existing heater and pump are old and non-functional, so I was wondering if now is the time to convert it to an SWG. We are hoping to have the sellers pay for at least half the cost.

I assume this means we can upgrade to pumps and heaters built for saltwater to avoid any corrosion issues without much of a cost difference, and the main cost delta would be from the purchase of an SWG.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!
All pumps and heaters are rated for pool saltwater. Remember, the salinity levels are around 3000 ppm, or 1/10th that of the ocean. Most people do not even know you have a saltwater pool. The SWCG will generate the chlorine to sanitize the pool.
Now also would be the time to consider automation. Does the pool have any water features? Is the heater for the pool or a spa?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: wireform
Welcome to the Forum... Of course we have thoughts.. LOTS of thoughts.

All pumps and pool equipment are rated for saltwater. the salinity is not that high as well. Also, I don't know what the regulations are in NM but as I understand it all pumps will be required to be variable speed in the near future.. so if you can get the sellers to pay for that would be great! AND absolutely this is the perfect time to add an SWG and any kind of automation that you might want to have. The world is your oyster, you have lots of choices.

Thanks for the responses. I just learned that the water here (and in the Southwest in general) is very hard with a lot of calcium. The local pool guys said that in turn means extra maintenance for SWG systems which may outweigh the benefits. Any similar experiences?

The fill water we have is 250 ppm CH and 130 ppm TA. I have never had to clean my SWCG by following the TFPC standards of pool water chemistry.

If your water is that hard, do you have a whole house water softener? If so, you can see if you could use your softened water for fill water when your pool needs water. Or install a water softener just for that. I am looking at doing that for our pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.