Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2021
So Cal
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have the opposite question -- thinking of changing my Quad 100 DE to a Clean & Clear to get away from DE mess. Curious if anyone has solved. They look identical... manifolds for cartridges... inlet/outlet orientation... all looks almost identical.

Moved from here.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Pentair Quad DE 100 and I'm sick of dealing with the mess of DE. The Pentair Clean & Clear 520 manifold and inlet/outlet and overall housing looks almost identical to my Quad DE 100. No way to just change the actual cartridges??

Yes. It can be done. Just make sure you get the properly sized cartridges and remove the backwash or multiport valve from the filter if you have one.

Reactions: JMPool99
Any opinions on DE vs non-DE Cartridge from your experience?

I still have my QuadDE filter. I plan to keep it until it dies then switch to a Clean & Clear. I have no beef with DE other than it’s added nuisance. Most people couldn’t tell the difference between a pool that’s filtered with a DE filter versus a cartridge filter.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Pentair Quad DE 100 and I'm sick of dealing with the mess of DE. The Pentair Clean & Clear 520 manifold and inlet/outlet and overall housing looks almost identical to my Quad DE 100. No way to just change the actual cartridges??
Measure your D.E. cartridges Get ones as close to that size as you can, they can even be a little short.

I did a little researched. Closest two I could find --- the C&C is a bit wider diameter.

Pentair Quad DE 100 Cartridge (Part # 178656, Catalog PN 4654-53) < what I have now
Dimensions: 6-1/4" Diameter, 32-3/4" Length, with a 3" Diameter Center Hole.

Pentair Clean Clear 520 Cartridge (Part #R173578, Catalog PN 4900-313)
Dimensions: 7" Diameter, 32-1/16" Length, 3" Center hole. (All the Clean & Clear appear to be 7" diameter)

Guess I'll have to figure out a way to try!

I did a little researched. Closest two I could find --- the C&C is a bit wider diameter.

Pentair Quad DE 100 Cartridge (Part # 178656, Catalog PN 4654-53) < what I have now
Dimensions: 6-1/4" Diameter, 32-3/4" Length, with a 3" Diameter Center Hole.

Pentair Clean Clear 520 Cartridge (Part #R173578, Catalog PN 4900-313)
Dimensions: 7" Diameter, 32-1/16" Length, 3" Center hole. (All the Clean & Clear appear to be 7" diameter)

Guess I'll have to figure out a way to try!

That should be fine. The Quad filters have more room in between them because they only need to make up 100 sq ft of area (or less). The C&C’s have much greater surface area and tighter packed pleats. So they tend to be wider. The inner 3” diameter Center hole is what matters as that is the sealing surface for the upper and lower manifolds. When you use the C&C cartridges, you should remove the 1” PVC Center pipes from the lower manifold. Those are only needed for DE filters to aid in backwashing.

Reactions: JMPool99
Yes. It can be done. Just make sure you get the properly sized cartridges and remove the backwash or multiport valve from the filter if you have one.
I thinking about converting my Quad 60 to a cartridge. I've got the proper-sized cartridge picked out but not sure why I need to remove my multiport valve. I understand that I can't run with the cartridge in backwash but why do I need to replace the valve?

I thinking about converting my Quad 60 to a cartridge. I've got the proper-sized cartridge picked out but not sure why I need to remove my multiport valve. I understand that I can't run with the cartridge in backwash but why do I need to replace the valve?

It’s a mixture of safety and simplicity. You really have no need for a multiport valve, they need to be serviced occasionally, they add head loss to the plumbing, and someone (not you) will accidentally put it in backwash mode and blowup the cartridges. If you want a “Waste” option, then just plumb it in with a valve and straight pipe.

Your call obviously. You can leave the MPV on but it’s a risk.

Reactions: laprjns

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.