Contractor ruined our pool:(

Santamina

Jul 22, 2019
NJ
Hi all! I live in northern NJ and have a 27k gallon gunite pool. We needed our tiles replaced and basically hired the wrong guy for the job. The tiles look ok but during the whole process his guys let all the old tiles fall in the pool plus all the debris ( while the pool was still filled mind you). On top of that he also let all the grout and adhesive fall in the pool. This process was supposed to be done by July 4th. Our pool turned green and murky and is now continuously cloudy. He also broke the clamp to our filter and we had to order a replacement that was hard to find as it is almost obsolete. Our pool valet service has not been able to get the water clear again. I’ve tried researching what I could and decided to Floc the pool then vac to waste. I thought I was on the right path but then the valet came and added algaecide and we’re back to cloudy. It is now 7/22 and I still have a cloudy pool, Jerry rigged filter clamp and frustration for days. I will take all the advice I can get. I am a novice but a quick study and willing to get my hands dirty!! Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the forum!
Can you give us more information? What type of pool do you have? Can you fill out your signature? Are you willing or able to drain this pool to clean it out?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: Santamina
Welcome to TFP neighbor.

The nuclear option is draining the pool and four 7K gallon water trucks can have the water cleared in a day for about $2K.

Otherwise you can spend a week or more following our SLAM Process dumping liquid chlorine into the water and testing regularly to clean up your chemical soup. We can probably help you get the water clear but it will take time, effort, and patience.

Hey all!! I’m willing to do the work! It will certainly be a learning process and will hopefully lead me to cutting the cord from the pool store service;).

Ok so I think I put all my pool info in my signature. Let me know if I left anything out:)

As far as draining the pool... oy! I REALLY don’t want to go that route since I do think I’m getting somewhere albeit slowwwwwwly.

I’m going to read the suggested reading material.

Algaecide used- BioGuard Algae complete and they used 8oz and 4 bags of burnout.

The contractor didn’t get all his money!!! And he never will!!!

What’s the best kit I can get to test my water?
Thanks everyone!

Order a TF-100
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

And discontinue the Bioguard, burnout, etc. The Biogaurd most likely added copper and both could be adding to your cloudy water issue.

Hi, welcome to TFP! What a nightmare! If you plan to use TFP methods then you will need to discontinue the pool service. TFP methods and pool service methods are not compatible and could lead to an even bigger mess. The BioGuard Algae complete is copper sulfite. Copper will kill algae but it also causes staining on pool surfaces and can tint light colored hair green. The 4 lbs of Burnout are calcium hypochlorite would could contribute to the clouding issue. Once you have your test kit and post a complete set of results we can help you get your pool back on track.

From Stains in Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool

Copper
Copper can also cause staining in pools. Copper is nearly always added to the pool by the owner. Common sources of copper are: mineral systems, ionizers, other “natural” sanitizers, pucks or shock labeled “blue” and algaecides containing copper. Another possible source of copper is low PH, below 7.2, eroding copper heaters or copper plumbing in older pools. A good sign of copper in the pool is blonde hair, fingernails, white dogs, etc turning green. Copper stains can be removed by putting dry acid in a sock and rubbing it on the stain. For widespread staining you can also try a no drain acid bath as shown here, The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment.

Generally, there is no practical way to remove iron or copper from the water short of replacing the water with new water that doesn’t have any iron or copper in it. You can use a sequestrant to prevent metal stains. Sequestrants bind to the metal and prevent them from depositing as stains. Sequestrants slowly break down in the pool, so you will need to continually add more sequestrant on a regular basis to maintain sufficient level to keep the iron or copper sequestered.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam’s Metal Magic and Jack’s Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top brand sequestrants. There are also other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you Mknauss and AJW22 for kit suggestions. Just ordered the TF100 XL option with speedstir! Now The hard part...waiting!

Zea3 it has been a nightmare!! ? I’m completely willing to discontinue the pool store service. I’m ready to learn!

As for the copper, thank goodness I’m a brunette! The rest of the copper info is just scary. I really hope I don’t have to drain this pool however I am not 100% opposed to it.

Is it true that you can’t completely drain a gunite pool bc the foundation could crack? This was according to the CONtractor. ?

There are dangers in completely draining a gunite pool but it depends on several factors. If the property has a high water table, the empty gunite shell could float up out of the ground, causing extensive damage. In extreme heat the plaster could be damaged, possibly crack the shell; however shell cracks can be repaired by a competent pool builder, and in this case damage occurs after days to weeks of being empty in extreme heat. Most folks with city water can do a complete drain and refill within 24 hours. Pools filled by a personal well may take longer depending on pumping capacity.

Draining a pool can be done is stages if you don't want to risk damage from a 100% drain. Unless there is a high water table it is safe to drain 3/4 of the pool and refill. If there is still a need to replace water after refilling, the pool can be drained up to 3/4ths and refilled again. This is usually enough dilution to correct issues with metals and high CYA. For areas with a high water table some investigative work may need to be done to determine a safe drain depth.

Is it true that you can’t completely drain a gunite pool bc the foundation could crack? This was according to the CONtractor. ?

What us the contractor? A PB in your area or a maintenance guy?

Plaster pools get drained all the time for replastering so it can be done. Just needs to be done carefully by someone who knows the area conditions.

A drain with a fast pump and an immediate fill by a water truck as I suggested is low risk. I have had my pool drained twice in the last few years for maintenance.

If you need to do it there are ways of getting it done.

What us the contractor? A PB in your area or a maintenance guy?

Plaster pools get drained all the time for replastering so it can be done. Just needs to be done carefully by someone who knows the area conditions.

A drain with a fast pump and an immediate fill by a water truck as I suggested is low risk. I have had my pool drained twice in the last few years for maintenance.

If you need to do it there are ways of getting it done.
Thanks! As for the contractor, ugh. Long story short - he was recommended by a friend for our FIREPLACES. Lesson learned. ??‍♀️

There are dangers in completely draining a gunite pool but it depends on several factors. If the property has a high water table, the empty gunite shell could float up out of the ground, causing extensive damage. In extreme heat the plaster could be damaged, possibly crack the shell; however shell cracks can be repaired by a competent pool builder, and in this case damage occurs after days to weeks of being empty in extreme heat. Most folks with city water can do a complete drain and refill within 24 hours. Pools filled by a personal well may take longer depending on pumping capacity.

Draining a pool can be done is stages if you don't want to risk damage from a 100% drain. Unless there is a high water table it is safe to drain 3/4 of the pool and refill. If there is still a need to replace water after refilling, the pool can be drained up to 3/4ths and refilled again. This is usually enough dilution to correct issues with metals and high CYA. For areas with a high water table some investigative work may need to be done to determine a safe drain depth.
Thank you! Good info!

Thanks! As for the contractor, ugh. Long story short - he was recommended by a friend for our FIREPLACES. Lesson learned. ??‍♀️
Well he certainly treated your pool like it was a fireplace. For the education of others on the forum... did you catch him in the act of dropping the tiles in the pool? Did you stop him in the middle of the job? I read so many stories of owners seeing their contractors doing stuff that they know is wrong but don't say anything because they somehow think the contractor knows more than they do.

Well he certainly treated your pool like it was a fireplace. For the education of others on the forum... did you catch him in the act of dropping the tiles in the pool? Did you stop him in the middle of the job? I read so many stories of owners seeing their contractors doing stuff that they know is wrong but don't say anything because they somehow think the contractor knows more than they do.
Very true! So before he even started I told him to make sure to be as careful as possible and that I did not want a bunch of Crud falling into the pool. He assured me his guys would be super careful but that some “dust” might fall in. Fast forward to the work being done, I’m walking around the pool and it looks like a big mess. All he does is stand around and watches his guys work. I got the brush out, handed it to him and told him to be sure to get the pool clean. My husband was traveling at the time and I did not want him dealing with this mess so I tried the best I could to get the contractor to do his job. The guy is a talker. He says all the right stuff but delivers on nothing. When he finally realized that he created a bigger mess than he could handle, he tried calling in one of his friends who does pools. Not sure this guy did anything worthwhile either. At this point my husband was coming back on the 4th and I just wanted to have the pool ready for him. It didn’t happen. Just last week we were still picking pieces of tile out of the pool. Absolutely horrible ?. Now we can see the sediment falling on the steps. I’m going to post a pic of what the robot has been picking up.

Very true! So before he even started I told him to make sure to be as careful as possible and that I did not want a bunch of Crud falling into the pool. He assured me his guys would be super careful but that some “dust” might fall in. Fast forward to the work being done, I’m walking around the pool and it looks like a big mess. All he does is stand around and watches his guys work. I got the brush out, handed it to him and told him to be sure to get the pool clean. My husband was traveling at the time and I did not want him dealing with this mess so I tried the best I could to get the contractor to do his job. The guy is a talker. He says all the right stuff but delivers on nothing. When he finally realized that he created a bigger mess than he could handle, he tried calling in one of his friends who does pools. Not sure this guy did anything worthwhile either. At this point my husband was coming back on the 4th and I just wanted to have the pool ready for him. It didn’t happen. Just last week we were still picking pieces of tile out of the pool. Absolutely horrible ?. Now we can see the sediment falling on the steps. I’m going to post a pic of what the robot has been picking up.
Pics

Attachments

• 14485965-EFC9-4342-B4D3-DD1B0B17B9CB.jpeg
    14485965-EFC9-4342-B4D3-DD1B0B17B9CB.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 382E28AA-CCB9-4B19-B4E1-09677B1F37BB.jpeg
    382E28AA-CCB9-4B19-B4E1-09677B1F37BB.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 81

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support