Contractor ruined our pool:(

My hubby did not want a SWG. His thinking was steel walls + salt= rust. WELL this past couple of months he got to see what I do with the pool as he has been laid up from a total ankle replacement. He got to see my lug the chlorine jug to the pool and try to pour it in without spilling any (now he knows WHY i change into yard clothes). He got so ride with me when I went to fill up said chlorine jugs. Just something else I have to do to maintain a part of our life HE wanted!!! SO we have a SWG on order and he will install it when he is back on his feet!!!

BUT you can manage a pool with liquid chlorine. Shop for YOUR source. For me it is the ACE Hardware down the road (10 miles:roll:), for others it is at a pool store, still others use PLAIN bleach. Just make sure it does have any added stuff like smells, splashless, or clormax as this is added stuff you don't want in your pool as it can cause bubbles and such.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Santamina
My hubby did not want a SWG. His thinking was steel walls + salt= rust. WELL this past couple of months he got to see what I do with the pool as he has been laid up from a total ankle replacement. He got to see my lug the chlorine jug to the pool and try to pour it in without spilling any (now he knows WHY i change into yard clothes). He got so ride with me when I went to fill up said chlorine jugs. Just something else I have to do to maintain a part of our life HE wanted!!! SO we have a SWG on order and he will install it when he is back on his feet!!!

BUT you can manage a pool with liquid chlorine. Shop for YOUR source. For me it is the ACE Hardware down the road (10 miles:roll:), for others it is at a pool store, still others use PLAIN bleach. Just make sure it does have any added stuff like smells, splashless, or clormax as this is added stuff you don't want in your pool as it can cause bubbles and such.

Kim:kim:
Way to go @kimkats! To be perfectly honest I don't know how anyone can employ the sanctioned TFP method without having an SWG. Maintaining those CL levels with jug chlorine would break my spirit, my back and my transaxle... I hate it when winter time rolls around and I have to go back to augmenting with liquid CL .. even as little as it is.

Today and tomorrow its supposed to be over 100Deg.. so I threw in a 1.5ppm kicker of liquid chlorine.. it would take my SWG a day or so the generate that.. Now having had to touch a CL jug this morning I'll probably be grumpy all day ;)

Last edited:
Oh don't get me started on SWG's... fight for that one. It makes pool life sooooo much easier. I converted to a SWG in 2005 and it was one of the best investments I feel I ever made. If you do the straight math on cost of the SWG equipment and the break even point in terms of the amount of chlorine you save its like 5 years... BUT there is no calculation for the amount of time it saves you. It makes chlorine slowly and continuously while its running which makes it the pool chemistry more stable and makes the other pool chems are easier to maintain, IMHO... Also, you can let it chlorinate while you are out of town. You are not married to your pool chem. Plus the other stuff everyone mentions.. the water feels better, and IT IS less irritating. My daughter has very sensitive skin and cannot swim in regularly chlorinated or public pools but she can swim in ours.
Override that veto, and stage a coup!?
THANK YOU for putting this into the universe!!!!
The hubs finally saw the light and said ok to SWG!!
This starts a whole other convo... how do I convert ???

Also I think my SLAM is going really well! Got my FC back up to 26 and my CC was .5. Still have cloudy waters but I’m thinking something good is happening!!!!

Convert to SWG is easy ...

-Install the cell
-Add proper level of salt to pool
- turn on cell
- adjust pump runtime and % generation for desired daily CL output
- go swim

THANK YOU for putting this into the universe!!!!
The hubs finally saw the light and said ok to SWG!!
This starts a whole other convo... how do I convert ???

Also I think my SLAM is going really well! Got my FC back up to 26 and my CC was .5. Still have cloudy waters but I’m thinking something good is happening!!!!
You'll have to do some shopping for a SWG system. Just make sure you pick one that is twice the rated size of the your pool. So you have a 27K pool then you'll need one rated for 54K or larger. Their are only two manufactures that make them that big. But I may stand corrected. Go hang out in the SWG forum for tips. They are easy to install if you are handy or you may need to hire a Pool guy to do the install for you. If you are replacing a bunch of stuff look at getting systems that are designed to work together. That is nice especially if you want to add automation.

You'll have to do some shopping for a SWG system. Just make sure you pick one that is twice the rated size of the your pool. So you have a 27K pool then you'll need one rated for 54K or larger. Their are only two manufactures that make them that big. But I may stand corrected. Go hang out in the SWG forum for tips. They are easy to install if you are handy or you may need to hire a Pool guy to do the install for you. If you are replacing a bunch of stuff look at getting systems that are designed to work together. That is nice especially if you want to add automation.
Slight addendum is that being in NJ, a 45K SWCG will be fine. The sun is less intense up here. The only caveat is if you only want to run you pump the shortest possible time. This opens up the purchasing options some.

But absolutely go SWCG! Managing a pool should not be a household democracy, it works better with one person in charge of all pool maintenance decision and TFP as the resource. I realize that's not always realistic but it's the best model. Rarely are the two adults both fully aligned with TFP practices.

Managing a pool should not be a household democracy, it works better with one person in charge of all pool maintenance decision and TFP as the resource. I realize that's not always realistic but it's the best model. Rarely are the two adults both fully aligned with TFP practices.

I'm all for households being dictatorships. At least in regards to kids. I used to tell mine that this house is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship! Then they became teenagers. I lost my dictatorship position because they tend to want to be "heard and recognized" by then. hehe

Of course, this is in jest really. With partners, clearly dictatorship is a bad idea.

With partners, clearly dictatorship is a bad idea.

Relationships have many different dynamics. Some relationships work with a dictator. But that is a discussion for a different type of forum. ;)

Reactions: S-Merry
I'm all for households being dictatorships. At least in regards to kids. I used to tell mine that this house is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship! Then they became teenagers. I lost my dictatorship position because they tend to want to be "heard and recognized" by then. hehe

Of course, this is in jest really. With partners, clearly dictatorship is a bad idea.
With teenagers it becomes a benign dictatorship..., With partners is a Federation...or City States

Last edited:
Reactions: frogabog

We have a weighted Democracy. My two kids each get 1 vote and I get 3.

Reactions: frogabog and mguzzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

? our 4yr old daughter is our dictator ??‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: frogabog
SWEET! It is normal now BUT it is not TFP clear quite yet. I would not stop the SLAM just yet. It can be so clear it does not look like there is any water in it. Keep the filter clean and going and the FC up to just under SLAM level so you can swim when you are home. At night push it back to SLAM level. It is all up to the filter now!