Continuation of an odyssey

Yeah, but the space is so tight there I really didn't want it out past the AC units. I am used to working in tight spaces. From looking at the pictures the only potentially difficult thing is cartridge filter (which was required otherwise I would have done sand)... But from looking at it, I can always shut it all down and remove the two fittings and remove it to work on it, worst case. At some point I think I might remove all of the stuff from the pad and pour one. Low on the list, though.

SIGH..........................Fred man you cannot catch a break
All of the masons are backed up a month in Tucson according to the gate guy. So I suspect he who screams the loudest gets the service. I am hoarse now. :)

I don't so much at this point care if they delay a couple of days but I need a couple of days notice to take vacation time and not get in trouble.

The masons told me on Saturday that what was left is about two to three hours work... Mañana likely...

So the masons came today, and I actually wish they would not have. They did okay replacing the fence columns but they really uglied up the threshold under the gate.. And they replaced only one of the four concrete blocks the excavators hit. The one with the hole through it. They didn't add sand like I asked to the pavers. They left the excavation area sloped towards the pool, and that was the only place that drained properly before they started!

What really takes the cake is this, however. I am convinced the people of Tucson believe that water flows uphill on its own.

IMG_20190911_180032384.jpg

But here are some of the other pictures from today..

IMG_20190911_180138972.jpg

IMG_20190911_180135915.jpg

IMG_20190911_180120824.jpg

I do know how to use a titration kit. I am, by degree, an electrical engineer, but I almost went Chem E instead... it was a tough choice at the time. I think this was the first time I actually told the foreman I didn't like the work that was done. I've been complaining about schedule since April, but the work has been good. In some cases very good. I'd personally hire the excavation crew and shotcrete crew again if I were to do it myself. Electrical and plumbing was acceptable and the masons, when it's all done will be okay, but they would get a lot more done if they didn't have to redo everything 2-3 times...

They want me done and gone because if I am hearing it correctly I am keeping them from a big expensive job up at Dove Mountain (45 miles away and they have been driving back and forth)... oh well, not my problem. At six months since we signed a contract we have waited long enough.

I did post fill water with what I had (which was partially a store bought OTO kit and the rest from a Lamotte titration beer water kit... which requires a lot more testing than pool does, trust me on that-- it is rather amazing what you can taste) but I will go ahead and redo it tomorrow when they hopefully are plastering the pool with the TF-100. It will be interesting to see the difference. My Calcium Hardness seems to be all over the place from the source and as such I ordered an extra bottle of R-0010 because I am really curious to see if the trends in the water report are real. I plan on doing more than 19 CH tests in the next year..especially on the fill water.

For fill water I don't need CYA and I don't need any chlorine tests. But I will do the rest.

I still need to subscribe to the Pool Math app. Is the only way to pay on Android via Google? If so I'll have to buy a prepaid card somewhere. I refuse to attach a CC to Google for as infrequently as I buy stuff from the "play" store....

I buy Visa gift cards for any one off purchases if i never want the company to find me again. Google is pretty safe to deal with and a Google Play card would work just the same.

So I guess they will plaster tomorrow... IMG_20190912_173631757.jpg
The plaster crew did a good job cleaning the thing up, but it made a pond in my "drainage" area behind the pool. By AZ law I am supposed to pay them tomorrow. Debating buying a completion bond instead... Not wild about paying 100% before the inspection passes and the gate is done to be honest....

. By AZ law I am supposed to pay them tomorrow. Debating buying a completion bond instead... Not wild about paying 100% before the inspection passes and the gate is done to be honest....

Wow... No way I would be paying on the day of plaster. Still too many things that could be wrong after you fire up the pump and if they are that slow in response when you are holding money I can't imagine how long it will take them to fix something after there all paid up. Not sure how the code reads but they will not be able to install the in floor heads for a while after the plaster so the install truly will not be finished.

Be sure to count all your floor heads before and after plaster. Yup you guessed it they plastered right over one of mine... :eek:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, but the space is so tight there I really didn't want it out past the AC units. I am used to working in tight spaces. From looking at the pictures the only potentially difficult thing is cartridge filter (which was required otherwise I would have done sand)... But from looking at it, I can always shut it all down and remove the two fittings and remove it to work on it, worst case. At some point I think I might remove all of the stuff from the pad and pour one. Low on the list, though.

I personally prefer my cartridge filter. They could have helped you out a bit and slid it away from the house more. You might be bumping against the house to get the lock ring on/off. A rubber mallet works great to reinstall the lock ring. Just keep tapping around the outside while tightening so it sets evenly. Remember the entire unit is emptied when serving the filters so be sure to put a good bed of stone beside the drain.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
That sounds like a prudent thing to do. .. given the challenges you have had with your install. In Ca, I recall they couldn't fill the pool unless the inspection was complete... the one where they confirm the door alarms are working and the fences and gates are sufficient. Is that temp gate self closing? ;) Or how about you send the plasterers away until everthing else is done

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately if anything the law benefits the builder at the end here and specifies that I have to pay. They are doing the plaster today, and hopefully nothing else will go wrong. It was confirmed to me that the extra week of work to redo the pavers made the job a money loser for them.

They have to fix the gravel in the front as a condition of HOA approval, but the gravel in back is my responsibility. So I will spread it pretty thick because I think to get reasonable delivery I will need to buy more than I likely would need. Having too much is a good problem to have however.

I have to get this done, so I took the risk. It's the "small" payment at the end anyway.

The builder wants me to put some wood on the backside of the gate I built which is not temporary (and opens out, and that has a spring on it) because he thinks the inspector might look at the outside of it from the pool where it's open as a "step" for the little kids we don't have.

So that and capping the blocks for the gate with the same blocks we have on the other two (Lowe's, the redwood slats too) before the gate guy comes on Monday are my weekend project. Ok, that and ordering more gravel and spreading what I have. Hopefully my wife will let me plant a couple of plants and run the irrigation lines to them as well before I spread the gravel. IMG_20190913_122721970.jpgBack Yard_live_1568402873004.jpg

So I went out to take pictures of the gate, and I will end up needing to put the second spring I have on it. 90% of the time it's either calm here or the wind is blowing in the direction to close the door... But today the wind is reversed and it can't quite do it with the one spring. I bought a second one thinking that could be the case... So off I go to install that one too.

IMG_20190913_125014167_HDR.jpgIMG_20190913_125021804_HDR.jpgIMG_20190913_125037789_HDR.jpgIMG_20190913_125050145.jpgIMG_20190913_125220298.jpg

Reactions: NorCalX
I LOVE the color of your plaster! Sure did not think this day would come :roll:

Okay when you start adding water make sure to put socks on the end of the hoses to filter the water and keep the metal off the new plaster.

Do NOT allow the flow of water to stop while filling the pool. If you stop it it might form a ring around the pool :(

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
water meter readings!

get them before and after so you know exactly what your pool volume is for balancing later

I was in your shoes 6 days ago enjoy the end of the process!!

We finally have our water balanced and our first swim is set for tomorrow

water meter readings!

get them before and after so you know exactly what your pool volume is for balancing later.

Yeah, that should be fun as I am going to have to dig into our driveway to do that. IMG_20190913_154109575.jpg

They do such odd things here when constructing buildings. Our entire electric panels are outside of the house on the wall, too...

Here are some final pictures from today. The second spring.. Was missing parts, again, second time I have bought one of these and someone stole parts out of the bag (Tucson) ... Sigh. Made it work anyway...

IMG_20190913_152503264.jpg

And some of the curing PebbleSheen...
IMG_20190913_151205123.jpgIMG_20190913_151116745.jpgIMG_20190913_151036398.jpgIMG_20190913_150958783.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: NorCalX
Oh, the sun came out, so let's sneak in one more... I also hung the brushes "nowhere near the pool" as per the boss..

IMG_20190913_174322876.jpgIMG_20190913_174353800.jpg

The green in the "Irish Mist" is toning down somewhat which is good. There are a couple of spots that I am slightly concerned about but I won't worry until Monday as it is possible that they were last minute patches and are drying last.

IMG_20190913_174557902.jpg

Got the one out of my garage finally and the PB supplied one. Don't think having extra will be a problem initially anyway when we will be doing a lot of sweeping...

Tomorrow: add weight to the gate (planks on outside). Morter in blocks to new gate threshold. Move gravel back. Order more... Fun is finally starting for me...

Reactions: cmc0619
Yay for plaster! Really nicely done though, I'm surprised as it twas super teal at first I thought it was some kind of paint.

Insofar as that water meter, the plate should just come off. But it doesn't look like it's been opened in eons. Doesn't the water company come out and read it so they know how much to bill you?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.