Construction started 2/3/20

Mike,

The first thing to know is that the "requirement" to have x turnovers a day is just a myth and is not a real requirement at all. Keeping your pool clear and sanitized is a chemical issue, and is not related to the number times water passes through your filter.

The IntelliFlo VS pump is considered, by most, to the the Gold Standard of pool pumps and is really the only pump the EasyTouch can control.

Your pool builder should be ashamed trying to sell you a "lite" version of the EasyTouch.. They really should call the lite version the fake version, as it has a very limited set of programs and functions. I would not use it, if it were free..

What you need is a package deal where the EasyTouch comes with a built-in SWCG power supply and an IC40 salt cell. Like this... Pentair EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 520593 Control System | PoolSupply4Less

I show the link for reference only, as the price will be different through your pool builder. And it will not be cheaper.. :mrgreen:

If your pool will be inside a screen-room, then your filter be just fine... If your pool will be outside, then I would go with a CCP-420 or 520.. The bigger the filter the longer you can go between cleanings.

I'd have to understand how your pool will be plumbed, to understand how your PB plans to control three valves with a system that only supports two, user programmable valves. :scratch:

I live in this Century, so I use a low voltage Robot.. Using a booster pump and pressure side cleaner is a little like using an old black rotary-dial phone instead of today's cell phone. Like this ...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply Jim, few follow up items for you:

Automation:
I'm wondering if I gave you the wrong automation system as I am actually quiet pleased, here is a video of all equipment with automation 10 seconds in

Here is what I can do from my phone app:
  1. Acutated valves control the following independently
    • Waterfall
    • Bubblers on sun-shelf
    • Heater
  2. Polaris
  3. Screen enclosure low voltage LED lights, on/off only - have separate remote that controls colors / programs
  4. Pool LED lights, controls lights and programs
  5. Pool, Waterfall and Bubbler RPMs (IntelliFlo)
  6. Set temperature to heat the pool to
  7. Check salt level and adjust SWG output
  8. Set egg timers or schedules for the above features
Filter:
We do have a screen enclosure so per your advice it sounds like there is not a need to push for a larger filter

Robot:
For those reading my thread who have not signed a contract with your PB (if signed, ask for a change request) ... skip the Polaris and go with the robot. I will probably give the Polaris some time since I already own it and then at some point upgrade to the robot.

Salt Water Generator:
As mentioned in the above thread, I will ask the builder to upgrade to an IC40 or IC60. I already have it in writing that it should be an IC40 so should be an easy ask.

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Hisbestcatch
Looking for any and all feedback on my testing frequency / levels (when should I move non pH tests to weekly?); see attached pic, NT = Not Tested.

I'm also reading a lot of opinions on how often I need to shock the pool - we are almost a month with water and have not shocked yet. I took the time today to research FAS/DPD testing and plan on ordering a kit including a Speedstir which I assume I can use for Chlorine, Alkalinity, and Calcium tests - right?

Attachments

• Pool Chem.png
    Pool Chem.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 22
Here is a set of links all about pool care:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Note no where does it say anything about shocking a pool. IF you maintain the proper balance then you will not need to shock the pool! How sweet is that???

Now if you let the FC drop too low then you could get an algae bloom. In that case you will have to SLAM the pool as seen here: SLAM Process

Does this help?

Pavers are almost finished ... screen enclosure should begin in the next 2-3 days

Hi Mike, do they put sand with Catalina style Pavers? How have you liked the Napoli now that you’ve seen it wet and complete?
Deciding between Catalina Amaretto and Catalina Napoli, the charcoal in the Napoli makes me nervous and the pink tone in the Amaretto makes me nervous ?. I’m so ready for this to be done already!!

Hi Mike, do they put sand with Catalina style Pavers? How have you liked the Napoli now that you’ve seen it wet and complete?
Deciding between Catalina Amaretto and Catalina Napoli, the charcoal in the Napoli makes me nervous and the pink tone in the Amaretto makes me nervous ?. I’m so ready for this to be done already!!
Hello! We love the the Napoli color and have had several compliments on it. I talked to our local Belgard rep and actually copied what he had for his pool, Napoli pavers and Charcoal coping. He sent us samples which also helped in our decision. they also look great wet!

• Love
Nice, I bet you will love it. We did not go with a sealer.
Glad I’m not the only one deciding against Sealing it!
Why did you guys decide not to seal it? Prefer the non wet look or is there less benefit sealing darker colors? I like these pavers a lot, they're on our shortlist.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why did you guys decide not to seal it? Prefer the non wet look or is there less benefit sealing darker colors? I like these pavers a lot, they're on our shortlist.
Personally, we prefer the natural installed look of pavers. Every time we have ever sealed pavers in the past (professionally, even the “natural” sealers) we have always regretted it and it changed the color. We will also have a screen.

Personally, we prefer the natural installed look of pavers. Every time we have ever sealed pavers in the past (professionally, even the “natural” sealers) we have always regretted it and it changed the color. We will also have a screen.
Yes I agree with the natural look and from what I read, the time/expense of keeping pavers sealed wasn't worth it.

Just ordered my Taylor Chlorine FAS-DPD test kit + Speedstir. Question on my current chlorine level: I am at 7.5 FC and per my water bill I now know that my pool size is between 20K and 21K (PB estimated 26.5K). I have an iCHLOR 30 SWG which is running at 50% and my Salt Level has been 3150 and 3200.

Question: Should I back down my SWG to below 50% to lower my FC - or am I good to keep it at this level?

My CYA dropped to 50 and I added stabilizer this morning.

I have done a bit of research and sealing can definitely be beneficial in circumstances like mine; we have a ton if leaves, acorns, and tree junk falling year round so it can prevent staining.
However------- it is best to not seal for the first year or so is what I have read... any efflorescence that may come out of the pavers would have no way to escape if you seal immediately. We had the company that did our addition offer to seal them for free right away and I declined for that reason, even though it will cost me down the line when we decide to.

Napoli looks very nice wet. That is what we have :) They have a wet-look sealer which we may do when we finally decide to seal them.

Just ordered my Taylor Chlorine FAS-DPD test kit + Speedstir. Question on my current chlorine level: I am at 7.5 FC and per my water bill I now know that my pool size is between 20K and 21K (PB estimated 26.5K). I have an iCHLOR 30 SWG which is running at 50% and my Salt Level has been 3150 and 3200.

Question: Should I back down my SWG to below 50% to lower my FC - or am I good to keep it at this level?

My CYA dropped to 50 and I added stabilizer this morning.

We are in FL, not too far from you, and we have SWG on 15% right now, and ours is not screened in. It is holding FC at about 4 currently. Initially our PB set our SWG to 50% at startup which was in late October/Early November and our FC was running at like, 11. Yikes! We had to turn it down a lot, and our sweet spot (with a screen net cover over the top due to tree debris) was less than 5% SWG.
Your % will also depend how often and how high you run your pump. I think finding your "sweet spot" is super subjective and depends on your specific circumstances.

Good news: I received my FAS-DPD Drop Test Kit & Speedstir today. Bad News: I just learned my FC is 18 PPM!! Lesson Learned for those building, have your test kit including FAS-DPD ready before you fill your pool.

I had backed down my SWG to 30% (from 50%) last week when my TF-100 showed Chlorine was high (only measures up to 10), I just backed SWG down to 5%.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.