Constant battle with my Spas (PH vs AK)

Freedom1029

Jun 25, 2020
Montreal
I seem to be in loop of a constant battle between PH et AK. For some reason I am having trouble to bring down my ph and have an OK alkaline level. My story goes like this, I go to the store, my AK is low, 0-30ppm and they recommend to bring the AK level above the recommended level. By doing so it raise my ph as the same time, then I have bring down the ph, and it will automatically bring down the AK level at the same time. The problem is that every time I had dry acid or liquid ph down, my ph goes down very slowly while my AK goes down faster. By the time my ph reach an acceptable level, my Ak level is between 0-30ppm, so I have to start the process all over again. It's very frustrating, and when I ask the store guru, he has no answer.

So if you have, any tips I would greatly appreciate.

Eric

Spas: 1500 L/ 400 gallons
Brome

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Get your own test kit to test pH and alkalinity.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

What pH level are you targeting?

What is the water chemistry you are targeting?

@RDspaguy

Get your own test kit to test pH and alkalinity.
Absolutely necessary! I recommend Taylor.
In my experience, ph is what will damage equipment and irritate bathers. I have never personally encountered this, as the water in the places I have worked is always high ph and alkalinity. I would suggest you bring ph to 7.6-7.8 and not worry overly much about alkalinity. Instead, adjust calcium hardness gradually to reach balanced water. For example, with a ph of 7.7, alkalinity of 30, and calcium hardness of 250 the SI (saturation index) is -0.2 which is well within the range for balanced water (-0.5 to +0.5). You may even find your alkalinity climbs a bit with your calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.