Endro32

Jul 1, 2021
Rives Junction, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm trying to build a case to get the camp I work for to invest in a SWG system for our pool here in the middle of the desert. Currently, I'm experiencing about 4ppm of FC loss per day (from about 9 after adding down to about 5), which given the pool's volume of 25,000 gallons, equates to about one gallon of 10% bleach per day. My cyanuric acid is at 60 and the pool gets lots and lots of sun, so as far as I know, that's not an unreasonable amount of FC loss this time of year. I have ordered the FAS-DPD reagents for my Taylor test kit so I can perform an overnight FC loss test to know for sure, but at this point I'm going to assume it's just the sun.

With bleach costing about $4-5 per gallon, and the pool running year round, even if I assume an average daily bleach cost of $3 because of less sun during the winter, I'm getting about $1,000 in chlorine cost each year using liquid chlorine. A 60k SWG is not too much more than that, and should be able to last 5+ years before the cartridge needs to be replaced, which is even less. That seems like an awfully large cost benefit from switching to SWG, which seems contrary to what I've read here which is that it's usually about a wash.

I'm completely aware of all of the convenience reasons for switching to SWG, I just want to get some second opinions on my estimated cost since it seems to be quite a bit different than what I've read in other places on the forum. Another thing worth noting is that my pump is already running 24 hours per day, so the added pump run time will not affect the cost in any way.

Welcome to the forum!
Is your camp pool regulated by any health department or other municipal agency?
The cost, with installation (if you hire it out) would be more like $2000.
Otherwise, I agree, there is no substitute for a SWCG for a pool in our climate. Your current usage of 4 ppm FC, especially if you have swimmers, is quite good for this time of year.
Are you able to control your CH/TA/pH? It is necessary to have control over those parameters to keep a SWCG from scaling up.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Sounds like a no-brainer; I love my SWCG. I still regularly test - but have had to do very little outside of adding a little muriatic acid every few weeks. Would never go back to manual dosing, buying LC, etc.

Welcome to TFP :)

You would want a 45k at least and a 60k would be better... run the 45k at 60% or so and the 60k at 45% or so...

Right now those 2 SWG are $1385 and $1585 (worth every penny) Best Sales, Rebates, Deals, and Promotions | DSP

Liquid chlorine "used to" cost 2 dollars a gallon here in OK and probably close to that where you are... the prices for both systems have gone up but the bleach/liquid chlorine has gone up more...

If you can have CYA and run a SWG go for it... my last cell lasted 7 years and then just replaced the cell, so it gets cheaper the longer you have them :)

I don't have any trouble maintaining the balance of the pool water in other areas, probably mostly due to the fact that I'm topping off the pool with pure RO water everyday (the camp is outside of any city municipality so we have to pull from a well and treat the water ourselves). So keeping the water in balance to prevent scaling will hardly require any effort.

Overall, it sounds like my conclusion is correct that the change to a SWG system will do nothing but decrease cost and make maintenance significantly easier. I appreciate the feedback and the warm welcome to the forum!

If using RO water for make up, watch your CH. Do not want it too low or your plaster will be damaged.

Let us know how it goes! We love installation threads (with pictures if possible).

Reactions: Endro32
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.