Cons to draining equipment ahead of TX deep freeze?

Millergirl

Oct 19, 2019
Texas
Hello!
Background: Last year during the Texas “snowmageddon” event my power went out at 2 am and it was well below freezing, near 0 degrees. I went immediately and drained all my equipment. I already had bottles filled w/ rocks in the skimmers to prevent freezing. Four days later when I had power, I restarted the equipment and everything was fine – no damages.
This week: We’re expecting a prolonged freeze – Wed night through sometime Sat temps are expected to be well below freezing.

QUESTION: What are the cons to draining my equipment and leaving the pump off during this event versus running the pump and all water features for multiple days (and praying we don't lose power where I have do all this stuff anyway!)? Thanks in advance!

What are the cons to draining my equipment and leaving the pump off during this event versus running the pump and all water features for multiple days (and praying we don't lose power where I have do all this stuff anyway!)?
None as long as there are no places (primarily above ground) that have enough stagnant water that it could freeze/expand. That's key. Unlike people up north who have a significant frost line, everything below ground in TX should be okay for this short freeze period. The water will be so cold algae won't be an issue. Some junk might blow onto the water and sink later, but no big deal. It's an option for sure. Some might still consider trying to cover pipes or items on the equipment pad though just to be safe.

Reactions: Newdude
None as long as there are no places (primarily above ground) that have enough stagnant water that it could freeze/expand. That's key. Unlike people up north who have a significant frost line, everything below ground in TX should be okay for this short freeze period. The water will be so cold algae won't be an issue. Some junk might blow onto the water and sink later, but no big deal. It's an option for sure. Some might still consider trying to cover pipes or items on the equipment pad though just to be safe.
Thanks, Texas Splash! Your note about stagnant water raised another question... do you think I should go ahead and drain equipment now while we still have two warmish days before the freeze in hopes any remaining water will evaporate?

do you think I should go ahead and drain equipment now while we still have two warmish days before the freeze in hopes any remaining water will evaporate?
You certainly can. Totally up to you and your schedule. :goodjob:

Reactions: Millergirl
I'd vote to do it at your convenience, with it currently being warmer and light out, if you're expecting to do it either way.

That 2AM, pitch dark and 17 degrees stuff is for the birds. :)

I'd vote to do it at your convenience, with it currently being warmer and light out, if you're expecting to do it either way.

That 2AM, pitch dark and 17 degrees stuff is for the birds. :)
Yes, I never want to do the 2 am thing again. But I'm glad I had the pool builder's voice in my head saying, "If the power goes out, you don't have an hour, do it now!" And he was right, I rushed right out there and by the time I pulled the drain plugs the water was already slushy.

The only con is that it will be back in the 60's/70's in a few days so you would not want to leave the pump off for too long after the freeze is over.

My plan is to ride it out and let the freeze protection do its thing and only drain equipment if completely necessary due to power outages or equipment failure. While this will be a hard freeze, it is not nearly as cold as last year and probably more importantly it will only stay cold for ~48 hours vs a full week last year.

Reactions: jark87 and Newdude
The only con is that it will be back in the 60's/70's in a few days so you would not want to leave the pump off for too long after the freeze is over.

My plan is to ride it out and let the freeze protection do its thing and only drain equipment if completely necessary due to power outages or equipment failure. While this will be a hard freeze, it is not nearly as cold as last year and probably more importantly it will only stay cold for ~48 hours vs a full week last year.
Thanks, JJ_Tex! I'm still debating whether to do it, I think I'm just paranoid after last year and hope to avoid the "Oh s*&t" moment where I have to drain everything as an emergency!

Thanks, JJ_Tex! I'm still debating whether to do it, I think I'm just paranoid after last year and hope to avoid the "Oh s*&t" moment where I have to drain everything as an emergency!
Haha. I just got back from the grocery store and you would think we were having the SuperBowl tonight, followed by a zombie apocalypse tomorrow. I literally bought the last celery stalk and I didn't dare try and go down the bread aisle :)

My main concern is with the heater since water does not run through it unless the heater is on. Should I drain it or set it to heat the pool a couple degrees hotter than freezing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My main concern is with the heater since water does not run through it unless the heater is on. Should I drain it or set it to heat the pool a couple degrees hotter than freezing?

What makes you think water does not run through your Jandy JXI heater unless the heater is on?

Do you have the VersaFlo?

The VersaFlo allows a small amount of water to circulate through the heater when it is bypassed.

Reactions: TexasEd
I just got back from the grocery store and you would think we were having the SuperBowl tonight, followed by a zombie apocalypse tomorrow.
Here at our HEB as well. You could feel the tension everywhere. Nuts. :crazy:

• Haha
Reactions: TexasEd and JJ_Tex
What makes you think water does not run through your Jandy JXI heater unless the heater is on?

Do you have the VersaFlo?

The VersaFlo allows a small amount of water to circulate through the heater when it is bypassed.
Yes, I have the versaflow and thought it was a complete bypass. Good to know there is some water movement.

TexasEd, sorry I don't know the answer. I have seen threads on running the heater during a freeze, some pros, some cons, so you might start a new thread and/or search the other threads. Good luck, it's already raining hear and hovering just above freezing.

Well, winter is finally upon us here in Oklahoma. Never mind that it was 72 degrees a couple of days ago. :) When it was still warm, we "hot tubbed" the pool and got it up to a nice warm 95 degrees. I shut the heater down a little before the snow started (about 30 hours ago) and it's now a not-so-comfortable 63 degrees. Of course, the ambient temp is 16 with a wind chill of -5'ish. Single digit lows for the next couple of nights and *maybe* back above freezing by Sunday. The equipment pad is pretty warm at 45 degrees which is pretty good considering how cold/windy it is. This is because I have a pretty well insulated shelter and a couple of heat lamps going.

Not doing anything outside except throwing out some extra bird seed since the demand has picked up. Probably because everyone bought out all the bread and milk! :p

1643904379028.png

1643904442696.png

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.