Connecting ABS filter outlet to PVC for my SWG.

Aug 22, 2016
Charlotte NC area
It's been a long time since I posted.

A few years back, I cemented a 1.5" to 2" PVC pipe adapter inside this ABS filter outlet on my Sand Dollar filter for my AGP. There's a union that connects to my salt water chlorinator after this. Today, it broke off (I'll spare you the details). It probably wasn't a great idea to cement PVC to ABS plastic anyway.

Since I doubt I can free the remaining piece of PVC from inside to repeat the same flawed connection method, I'm looking for a better way. The threads on the outside of the black outlet measure 2.5"across. I assume this is some kind of standard connection, but probably not PVC, so I would need some kind of adapter to 2" PVC.

What is the proper way to make this type of connection, and where can I buy the parts? In the meantime, I'm off to buy some more bleach! pixlr_20220529155543679.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Donah
Some manufacturers use non-standard fittings/threads for their equipment, particularly where a 'union' is involved. I have experienced that situation with a Waterway Tiny-Might pump.

In what may be your case, Sand Dollar Filters with 2" connections use a union, and I suspect that what is in your photo is 1/2 of the union, and those threads may not be "standard". See this document:

. . . and look at the parts diagram on page 15, and Item# 11 on that diagram.

Or you can try a "hub saver" or "socket saver" which is a "drill bit" kind of device that allows you to drill out a 1.5" or 2" pipe that is glued inside a valve body or connector.

See this page at plumbingsupply.com for pictures of how their PVC Fitting Savers work.

Home Depot sells a less expensive 1-1/2 in. Socket Saver by JONES STEPHENS.

Pasco has a PVC Ram Bit like the Jones Stephens socket saver.

There are videos on YouTube showing how a socket saver works. See

https://youtu.be/KQGssYM5C2M

https://youtu.be/UPzUBxvB8jo

Check out #11 in the diagram above. Nothing is glued to the multiport. The unions are glued to the PVC pipe and thread onto the filter connection. On the pipe you're connecting, slide the collar over the PVC pipe (threads facing out), then cement the middle component, which secures the collar. Thread the collar onto the filter connection hand tight. The union needs a clean face on the filter connection so the o-ring seals.

Should look something like this:

1653877141901.jpeg

Thanks so much, everyone!!

So the union kit has a 2" PVC joint that I can tap into?

As for removing the current PVC, is it OK to cement PVC inside ABS plastic? Anything special I should be aware of for that scenario?
No, you should not try and cement ABS to PCV directly. Use a union.

OK, so to follow up on this, I have done a little more exploration and it turns out that I missed something REALLY obvious. The PVC fitting was actually screwed in to the inside of the ABS outlet from the SD-40 filter top. So I could simply unscrew it (although difficult because there wasn't much protruding from the ABS outlet) and replace it with a matching 1-1/2" threaded Sch 40 expander/reducer to 2" slip joint. Of course I need some more 2" pipe and one end of a 2" union.

If that doesn't work out so well, I will have to go the route of finding the type of union y'all mentioned that threads onto the outside of the filter outlet.

Thanks again for your advice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Custom Molded 21063-154-000 1.5" MIP x 1.5" PVC Hi-Temp Union​

That would have been perfect for my original installation! I have a standard 2" union after up-sizing to 2" PVC, which connects to my SWG section of pipe. Since I don't really have time to wait to get one of these, I am going to use the same configuration that I originally had. So helpful to know this is available though - thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.