Concrete pool -milky water

You are correct Butterfly. Some of us Canucks are SLoooow :sleep: So I take it that I should add that 2.9 L now.

Confused again on the next stage about "adding CYA soon". I have a bit of granular stab. left from last year. Is it still OK? I know I read somewhere about Baking Soda-is that what I use to raise the CYA when the time is right?

oletrout said:
You are correct Butterfly. Some of us Canucks are SLoooow :sleep: So I take it that I should add that 2.9 L now. :lol: Yep.

Confused again on the next stage about "adding CYA soon". I have a bit of granular stab. left from last year. Is it still OK?
It is probably still good.
I know I read somewhere about Baking Soda-is that what I use to raise the CYA when the time is right?

No. We use baking soda to increase TA and your TA is just fine.

CYA/stabilizer/conditioner is cyanuric acid. Play with Jason's Pool Calculator and see how much you will need to raise your CYA from 20 to about 60. We'll cross-check the calculations with you later. Let's just NOT add it until you are done shocking your pool. :wink:

oletrout said:
Tested CYA and read 30. P.Cal says to add 5.2 K. I'll wait as suggested. Adding the 2.9 L chlorine now.

Thanks again

CYA is 30? Okay, back to the shocking. With a CYA of 30 (look at the CYA/Chlorine Chart in my sig) the Shock FC is 14.

So, instead of aiming for 10, aim for 14.

You want to make sure you do the overnight test again tonight. :p

Using Jason's Calculator, taking the CYA from 30 to 60, I get 4.3kg. What #'s were you using?

Hi Butterfly
Because you seemed "shocked" that my cya was "shockingly" high :lol: ,I did the test again. I had gone to the pool shop for a salt test and they tested everything and say my stabilizer was at 20. The test I just did-away from the glare of the kitchen skylight and fluorescent track lite I also got a reading of 20. Like the directions on the kit says--it may take a few tries to get it right. So--we're back to this AM's post--My CYA is 20 and not 30. My salt level is 3200. The 2.9L chlorine was added. :)

oletrout said:
Hi Butterfly
Because you seemed "shocked" that my cya was "shockingly" high :lol: ,I did the test again. I had gone to the pool shop for a salt test and they tested everything and say my stabilizer was at 20. The test I just did-away from the glare of the kitchen skylight and fluorescent track lite I also got a reading of 20. Like the directions on the kit says--it may take a few tries to get it right. So--we're back to this AM's post--My CYA is 20 and not 30. My salt level is 3200. The 2.9L chlorine was added. :)
:lol: Okay, the CYA is 20!

Tonight, do the overnight test, okay? Take it to your shock level of 10, wait, re-test and make sure you hit your Shock FC level.
Then, re-test again in the AM for your FC & CC. In the AM, let us know the test results.

Once you are done with your pool tonight, I have some suggested homework for you :mrgreen:

Go to Pool School, link in my sig and at top of each page. Start reading at the top and work your way down. When we refer folks to pool school, it is not to be considered a punishment, but a window to a priceless stash of information! Many knowledgeable folks spent lots of time to create Pool School. My hat is off to all of them :goodjob: You can read and re-read. Several years ago, I not only read, I printed and read at the kitchen table every day. Even DH knows the lingo and when I ask him (in a very nice way :thequeen: ) to add 2 cups of MA, he knows exactly what I mean. :-D

Can you handle that? Don't give me any static, or I'll ask you to put your Dear Wife on the phone! :mrgreen: I know she says, "Don't make me come up there" :hammer:

sorry, Gerry, I'm feeling especially tickeled tonight! :lol: :

I hope he's not mad at me
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found out a good many years back that gettin mad for even one minute won't add a second to my lifetime.

Did overnite test. First was FC 8-added 2.3L After an hour or so did it again got FC 10.5

I'll check again at sun up when before I lie down for a nap.That should be shortly after i finish my home work.
:) :) : :lol: :lol:

oletrout said:
I hope he's not mad at me
:lol: :lol:
I found out a good many years back that gettin mad for even one minute won't add a second to my lifetime.

So true :-D

Did overnite test. First was FC 8-added 2.3L After an hour or so did it again got FC 10.5

:goodjob:

I'll check again at sun up when before I lie down for a nap.That should be shortly after i finish my home work.
:) :) : :lol: :lol:
hahahaha, now that's too funny! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tonight, do the overnight test, okay? Take it to your shock level of 10, wait, re-test and make sure you hit your Shock FC level.
Then, re-test again in the AM for your FC & CC. In the AM, let us know the test results.

Did overnite test. Used a bottle of Visine to clear my eyes from burning the midnight oil doing HOMEWORK :) :p and went back at it.
OK-FC-10
CC-0

So if I'm reading correctly I would now need to get stabilizer into the water. CYA/Chlorine chart for SWG is 60. SWG is still OFF. I have 20 so the PC indicates I need 5.8 K ????

Cheers

Yes, more or less. I would aim for a final CYA level closer to 80, which I show at 7.2 kg. But don't add the CYA all at once. Add about 2/3rds of the calculated amount, wait a week, test the CYA level, and continue adjusting from there. If you add it all at once you risk adding too much. It is easy to raise CYA, but difficult to lower it.

Thought I'd give you a reminder: :wink:

Your pool is drifting down from shock level and you should not let your FC drop below 5. You need to test it each evening and add enough chlorine to get you to maybe 7 or 8 so that when you check it the following evening it is at least 5.

We don't want any problems with your new clear, clean & sparkly water :lol:

You can test your CYA in a week and, assuming you hit your target (ish) we can help you get that fine tuned.

oletrout said:
You need to test it each evening and add enough chlorine to get you to maybe 7 or 8 so that when you check it the following evening it is at least 5.

I do this using the small blue kit or keep doing the FAS/DPD ?
If you're really good at reading the colors in the small blue kit, use it, but I prefer the FAS/DPD. :wink:

Test to determine your current FC then use Jason's Pool Calc to calculate dose to bring it up to 7 or 8.
Let circulate for an hour. You are done for the nite. No need to re-test later :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.