Concrete in skimmer

Desert Dog

Silver Supporter
Apr 4, 2020
Alpine, Ca
Hello TFP friends. Bit of a back story here. With two questions to follow. A friend of mine has asked for help with his endless algae battle. I went over to discover two initial problems. One, a bad flow switch on the SWG and no CYA. After giving him a shopping list he only got a flow switch. Ok. flow switch installed and SWG is working. Gave him a shopping list so we can SLAM his pool. Upon my "pool inspection" I also found this head scratcher which leads me to question 1,

1) Why would someone pour about 2 inches of cement in the bottom of the skimmer? I pulled the skimmer basket and discovered no float valve. Why no float valve? Looks like someone purposefully poured about two inches of cement and formed two holes for the suction sides from the skimmer/drain. See picture below.

2) Question two. Can I easily program his Easythouch (unknown if it is a 4 or 8) to have the SPA spill over? My pool does not have a spa so I'm not well versed but have been reading and trying to figure it out. When pool is in service mode you can push the valve button and switch from pool, spa, spa fill, and spa drain modes. In service mode the valves all turn to the correct positions. When in auto mode and you push the valve button it only switches between pool and spa modes. I would like to program it to SPA fill as an option but does not appear to be currently programmed that way. The only way I can get that to work is by manually flipping the automation valve switch to turn the return valve to spa. Hope that makes sense. In case you ask, it does have a by pass to allow a small amount of flow from the pool to spa while in pool mode.

Here are some specs on the pool: 18,000 gallon pool with raised spa. Pentair equipment, automation, stone scapes plaster, Clear and Clean Plus filter. What am I forgetting?IMG_3354.jpg

1) Why would someone pour about 2 inches of cement in the bottom of the skimmer? I pulled the skimmer basket and discovered no float valve. Why no float valve? Looks like someone purposefully poured about two inches of cement and formed two holes for the suction sides from the skimmer/drain. See picture below.

My WAG is the skimmer had a crack in the bottom and the concrete was someones fix.

Many skimmers don't have the float valve. They get lost over time.

2) Question two. Can I easily program his Easythouch (unknown if it is a 4 or 8) to have the SPA spill over?

Read Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading

or

Reactions: markayash
DD,

Let's see several pics of your equipment pad.

It is possible that the main drain is not plumbed into the skimmer at all.

I agree with Allen that cement in the bottom of the skimmer is most likely a way to try and fix a leak.

Assuming that your main drain is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer, then not having a floating diverter valve just means you have no suction to the main drain. In the big picture, main drains are not even needed and have no effect on having or not having algae. I have two rent house pools and neither one has an operating main drain and they both work just fine without it.

It is pretty easy to set up the Spillway mode.

Do you have ScreenLogic?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
The main drain looks to be plumbed to the skimmer. The pool was built not long ago. I'm thinking the crew that poured the deck somehow cracked the skimmer. The color of the cement and that of the deck match. I assume their fix was to pour cement in there. The owner had no idea cement had been poured into the skimmer. He did OB on the project but is not very savvy on programming it or taking care of the pool. I have referred him here several times but he is stubborn and slow to conform. He has Screen Logic. Pics below.IMG_3167.jpgIMG_3168.jpgIMG_3169.jpg

DD,

Looking at the pics it is clear the pump has three inputs.. Spa and then two more.

Those two could be...

Skimmer 1 and Skimmer 2
Skimmer 1 and a vacuum line in the side wall of the pool.
Skimmer 1 and the main drain.

Does the pool have a suction side cleaner?
Does the pool have two skimmers?

I've got something I need to do for the next hour or so, but when I get back, I can detail how to set up the Spillway mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pool has one skimmer and a dedicated vacuum line in the side wall of the pool.
DD,

Then that does sound like the main drain is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer. That was normal 100 years ago, but most newer pools have the main drain run back to the equipment pad. :(

I would forget about your main drain and concentrate on fixing his algae issues.

To set up the EasyTouch you just need to rename an unused Feature Circuit and name it "Spillover" (or anything you want to call it, the name does not matter.) Then set the Circuit Function to "Spillway".. This is what makes it work.

You do that on this ScreenLogic set up page.

Then you set up a speed you want the pump to run in the Spillway mode. You enter the Circuit name and the add a speed on this page.

That really all there is to it. You can schedule it to come on, or you can manually use the ScreenLogic icon to turn it on.

If you are in the Pool mode, when you push the icon, you should see the Return valve rotate to the Spa position and the pump should go to right speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Dog

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you everyone for your help. He had a faulty flow switch on his SMG and no CYA which helped evolve his algae problem. That, the pool store tests and the guess strips. Now I'm the lucky one who gets to help get this mess in order. From what he has said, his SWG has never worked. It was purchased online and well out of warranty. Anyhow, I replaced the switch, turned the pool on and bubbles came out the jets. He said "why are there bubbles? I have never had that before." :cool:

DD,

Then that does sound like the main drain is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer. That was normal 100 years ago, but most newer pools have the main drain run back to the equipment pad. :(

I would forget about your main drain and concentrate on fixing his algae issues.

To set up the EasyTouch you just need to rename an unused Feature Circuit and name it "Spillover" (or anything you want to call it, the name does not matter.) Then set the Circuit Function to "Spillway".. This is what makes it work.

You do that on this ScreenLogic set up page.

Then you set up a speed you want the pump to run in the Spillway mode. You enter the Circuit name and the add a speed on this page.

That really all there is to it. You can schedule it to come on, or you can manually use the ScreenLogic icon to turn it on.

If you are in the Pool mode, when you push the icon, you should see the Return valve rotate to the Spa position and the pump should go to right speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.
How does one get that program for the easy touch on their computer at home?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.