Concrete coping- expectations too high?

My concrete coping is incredibly rough -
Any way to smooth it out so it doesn’t tear us up next summer?

Also, is it normal to have cracks on a brand new pour? It did have fiber mesh but it was a large pour deck 12ft, 6ft, 8ft, 10 ft around 18x36 pool. Over 1500 sq ft. Of course contractor is like that’s normal you expect to much bah blah blah aka covering for himself but maybe he’s right? The joints are also way too far. I told them that as they were working but they hushed me away and said don’t worry they know what they’re doing. Apparently every contractor I read 8-12ft max is wrong in their book.

Attachments

d_red1

Jul 21, 2016
Keller, TX
Looks like they broomed it too early. You should be able to knock down those fins with a wet block and some elbow grease. This can usually be found in the tile section at HD: QEP Tile Sanding and Rubbing Stone with Dual Grit Surfaces-10022Q - The Home Depot
Test in a small area first to make sure it gets the desired results. Keep a bucket or hose nearby to maintain a wet block and working surface

What do you mean the joints are 8-12ft apart? Are these tooled or sawed joints? Post a pic so we have a better understanding. Control joints (sawed or tooled and used to control cracking) should be 24-36" apart. (edit: spacing is for a separate concrete coping and not a cantilevered concrete coping)

Last edited:
Looks like they broomed it too early. You should be able to knock down those fins with a wet block and some elbow grease. This can usually be found in the tile section at HD: QEP Tile Sanding and Rubbing Stone with Dual Grit Surfaces-10022Q - The Home Depot
Test in a small area first to make sure it gets the desired results. Keep a bucket or hose nearby to maintain a wet block and working surface

What do you mean the joints are 8-12ft apart? Are these tooled or sawed joints? Post a pic so we have a better understanding. Control joints (sawed or tooled and used to control cracking) should be 24-36" apart. (edit: spacing is for a separate concrete coping and not a cantilevered concrete coping)
I mean control joints for cracking most sites say 8-12 ft max. I have 12-15 ft between mine and my concrete is cracking already :(