Concerned about spa spillover noise - what is your experience?

bigorangesky

Aug 5, 2021
South Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are set for gunite as the next step in our build, possibly this week, and this is my last chance to make a change. Our spa is raised up 18" from the pool deck, and is planned to have a 2' wide spillover into the pool. Spa is 7' inside, 9' outside, and everything is square -- see my profile pic for drawing.

My concern is about the sound/noise coming from the waterfall. We have a fairly quiet back yard, and I don't want to a constant unpleasant sound. The spa will be near our house and patio, where we plan to hang out most of the time. For this reason, we have planned no other water features, and keeping it simple. I've heard some water fountains that are nice for a short while, but would get annoying to hear all night long.

I'm considering switching from the regular spillover to the style where water flows down the edge of the wall -- like on an infinity edge pool (not sure what its called). Does anyone have this style and can comment on the sounds? I tried to listen to some youtube examples, but not much luck finding one yet.

Thanks!

Big,

If you are going to get an Automation system like an EasyTouch or the new IntelliCenter, you can just program the spillover to run when you want.. This does away with the constant spillover and possible noise. It is called the Spillway Mode. Dirt simple to set up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks @Jimrahbe . Yes we will have ET with full automation, so we should have 3 modes: Pool, Spa, and spillover. But my impression is that we should run the spillover mode most of the time to get good circulation.

But my impression is that we should run the spillover mode most of the time to get good circulation.
Run the spillover a couple times per day for 20-30 minutes and you should have sufficient circulation. You can test the FC in the spa to check it.

Reactions: Plainsman04
Big,

The purpose of the spillover is to keep your spa water fresh.. As Marty says, running the spillway mode a couple times a day should work just fine.

And.. If you like the noise, you can run the Spillway mode at any time by just pushing a icon or button.

Keep in mind that the amount noise has a lot to do with the amount of water flowing over the spillover... You can basically adjust the noise by adjusting the pump speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.