Composition of CL powder

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
First. Happy 4th to all…

Next, received a call from my nbor yesterday that their pool looked green..they’re OOT and have cameras.

Yes, pool water was full of algae and also had lg patches of algae growth on steps, sun shelf, flr, etc.

They had a lg bucket of pucks and smaller one of what he called “shock powder”, consistency of clothing detergent. I was in a hurry so I tossed in 3 cup fulls spread throughout pool. turned pump on to 2800 rpms. It killed the algae rather quickly to my amazement.

i did not look at bucket bc it was wife’s bday & needed to leave soon. Do these granulated “shock powders” have any CYA or other additives like metals or other? Or are they pure dissolvable CL? Any drawback to them if no additives?

Thank you.

It really depends on what it was. Granular chlorine comes in a few forms, they all have additional things that you usually don't want in the pool.

The most common is dichlor which is CYA and chlorine. The 2nd most common is cal hypo which is calcium and chlorine.

But you'll need to find out what you put in there to be sure.

Thanks CW…i did an i-net search and some do not have any CYA, but do have CA. If it only came in 95% CL w no other binders or additives, trying to ascertain the drawback?

oh yes. He mentioned he had an ionizer when I asked him was someone taking care of pool while they were gone. I stated since they just had it installed, thst i didn’t want to start criticizing anything. Essentially, Informed him the ionizer was not going to help.

If it only came in 95% CL w no other binders or additives, trying to ascertain the drawback?
The drawback is it adds things other than chlorine. If you are low on CYA or CH then it'll be fine. A lot of people add the products with CYA when they don't need it and then they end up having CYA thats too high.

Thanks Don…
i just bought (3) 5 gal containers of 12.5% bleach. It’s also 38 miles from house 1 way…HEB Bleach used to be $2.67 8.25% for 1 gal; now it’s $3.99 for 7.25% and only 80% of a gal.

My description of CL was prob poor at best, but referring to a high concentration of sanitizing agent in powder form w no binders (CYA) or metals (CU) or other CA. That pool was really green w a lot of lg concentrations of algae and those granulates knocked it out pronto. Just trying to discern anything w a good high concentration of primary sanitizing agent w out all the other detrimental additives.

Thanks

“A lot of people add the products with CYA when they don't need it and then they end up having CYA thats too high.”

Yes, typical of pucks..This is the only way I have ever added CYA…but, i use infrequently to keep 40ppm CYA

Don

my inquiry was to determine if a product was either like this or close to this? I helped an out of town nbor by casting 2 - 3 cups of a granular based sanitizer they had into their pool to kill a fairly tainted algae bloom. I was impressed w it’s speed of kill and clarity. Knowing from TFP most products like this have stabilizers or other, i was trying to ascertain the best case scenario.

That’s about it…what might have tossed a wrench in the middle was the word choice of CL, which i only meant “the main active ingredient of all sanitaztion products” that does the work.

Last edited:
Why don’t you just ask him what the powder was. Like the brand name. Cal hypo is the consistency of laundry detergent though. I think the other shock you can buy is more powdery. Moisture will clump anything though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.