Compool CP3800 - Inside Control Panel Dead

tb40

Nov 9, 2017
Yorba Linda
So out of nowhere, the indoor / inside panel that controls my Compool cp3800 system went completely dead / dark, no indicator lights on the panel. I took the panel off the wall and disassembled, nothing obviously wrong with the circuit board, wiring etc.

What are the logical steps to start troubleshooting?

I have been reviewing previous posts regarding the compool systems, and some mention a full system reset at the main control box? Also an integrated battery in the control box?

Thank you in advance for any adivce or assistance all!

I would shut power off, take off inside control and hook it up directly to outside panel if you have enough wire to play with. I’ve experienced a lot of low voltage lines broken or oxidizing either going into conduit or sometimes there is a junction box outside the house where it’s fed into the house.

Reactions: tb40
Very helpful, thank you both for your replies.

@Poolbreh - I ended up ordering a replacement 6 conductor RJ12 cable to eliminate the cable from the pool to the house (a long run, perhaps 50 feet) as the issue.

When I hook the inside remote control panel up to the outside panel, should it light up right away with some indicator lights etc? Or do I need to "reset" the outside panel, or turn the breakers on/off???

I would shut power off, take off inside control and hook it up directly to outside panel if you have enough wire to play with. I’ve experienced a lot of low voltage lines broken or oxidizing either going into conduit or sometimes there is a junction box outside the house where it’s fed into the house.
Thank you SO MUCH for your adivse on this issue, as soon as I hooked up the remote panel to the main outside panel using the brand new replacement cable, the panel fired right up, just like you said.

This prompted me to do a much more thorough inspection of the very long signal cable for the remote. Traced it up into the attic and low and behold CHEWED BY A MOUSE (which we had an issue with right when this happed).

Carefully rewired the cable and its fixed!

Reactions: Poolbreh
Just wanted to say thanks to folks who contributed to this thread. I had the same issue and after reading this thread I ordered a short run of RJ12 and hooked the inside controller directly to the panel outside and whala. Everything fired up and working as designed. However, I did discover one thing that might be helpful for someone. Once I unhooked the RJ12 connector from the outside panel, the outside panel was able to work independently of the inside controller. So, for pool opening purposes, you can turn pump on and off for cleaning from the outside panel until you connect everything together again. It appears the outside panel will not work as long as its connected with a faulty RJ12 cord. This might be common knowledge already but here's my two cents anyways. Thanks tb40 for sharing and thanks Poolbreh for your advice.